Database Maintenance - GUI executes which statements?

• There are three DB maintenance actions in "Maintenance Plans" that I am trying to identify the T-SQL command equivalent for.

Under the "Optimizations" Tab:

1)  Reorganize date and index pages

2)  Update the statistics used by the query optimizer

Under the Integrity Tab:

1)  Check Database Integrity

I have the above activities running weekly on just about all of my DB's - but I wanted to take a closer look at the true activities of each selection.

So, if anyone could clarify the T-SQL executed by each - and make some suggestions on alternate index, page, statistics maintenance commands, I would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

• Mostly DBCC commands.  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about using blanket maintenance plans although most of what I have read is positive concerning them.  I usually do everything manually, but I have so many database now that I am starting to look into options for automation.

• Actually, I found what I needed.  Because DBCC INDEXDEFRAG is an online operation, I'm sure that it was is happening through the default maintenance plan.  DBCC DBREINDEX is an off-line operation that rebuilds statistics as part of the process.

I am assuming that the "check database integrity" option is performing DBCC CHECKDB.

Ryan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply