Database Migration

• Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to Migrate Remco ERP Databases from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. I'm using Upgrade advisor toolkit for this task.

Requesting you to share any idea on it if anyone have.

Thanks you !!

• Upgrade Advisor is a good place to start. Are you doing an in-place upgrade? Will you have new servers? Make sure you have good backups whatever you do. Here is a comprehensive whitepaper from Microsoft to help you prepare:

SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I feel the need to point out that sql 2005 is about to go out of support.

Any reason why you're not upgrading to 2008 R2? Or even Denali which should be out this year (depending on when you plan to upgrade)

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

I feel the need to point out that sql 2005 is about to go out of support.

Any reason why you're not upgrading to 2008 R2? Or even Denali which should be out this year (depending on when you plan to upgrade)

Hi Subrata, Ninja's point is a very good one. If the application supports a newer version of SQL, it will be better to upgrade to a new version.

• opc.three (7/27/2011)

Upgrade Advisor is a good place to start. Are you doing an in-place upgrade? Will you have new servers? Make sure you have good backups whatever you do. Here is a comprehensive whitepaper from Microsoft to help you prepare:

SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide

No. I have no Hands-on-experience in-place upgrade.

I have new server.

I have good backups files.

Yes Sir. I have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Technical Resource Guide

Note :- I have good Hands-on-experience in Upgradation/Migration of the Microsoft Dynamics Nav Database(SQL/Native) -- Microsoft Enterprise Solution

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

Exactly Sir.

Our Client already purchased the 2005 License few days ago and they are not eager to upgrade the license now.

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (7/27/2011)

Hi Subrata, Ninja's point is a very good one. If the application supports a newer version of SQL, it will be better to upgrade to a new version.

I agree with you Sir.

The Same Version(Remco ERP 3.1) will support the both the SQL SERVER VERSION 2000 AND 2005.

• Subrata Bauri (7/27/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

Exactly Sir.

Our Client already purchased the 2005 License few days ago and they are not eager to upgrade the license now.

In the future advice your client to buy software assurance with his license, in that way your client will be able to upgrade to a newer version of SQL Server without buying a new license.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply