Database Mirroring

• What happens if an additional table or field is added to a mirrored database.

• all changes get applied to the mirror, including DDL

• Thank you.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Does adding additional primary/secondary file too applied on mirror?

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• free_mascot (4/28/2011)

Does adding additional primary/secondary file too applied on mirror?

Just tested on one of our mirrored pair, yes, the secondary file if added on principal is also added on the mirror!

Bazinga!

• sqlapprentice (4/28/2011)

free_mascot (4/28/2011)

Just tested on one of our mirrored pair, yes, the secondary file if added on principal is also added on the mirror!

I have never tested this but I assume all drive settings have to match exactly for this to work.

Anyone know what happens if you create a file on a drive that doesn't exist on the mirror server?

-------------------------------------------------
    Will C,
    MCITP 2008 Database Admin, Developer

• I have never tested this but I assume all drive settings have to match exactly for this to work.

[/Quote]

Yes, it is mandatory to have the same drive letter\Settings on both the servers.

Infact , it is always recommended that your principal and Mirror like In Failover cluster should be identical servers.

Especially if you are running in a high availablility mode with automatic failover.(syncronous with witness server).To be sure that the users will not be affected.

[Quote]

Anyone know what happens if you create a file on a drive that doesn't exist on the mirror server?

The files will get added on the pricipal server with no problem.

But it will keep on trying the same operation on Mirror server but because the same path does not exist on the mirror, it will keep throwing error in the error logs pointing out that the file path not found and ofcourse the old operating system error.

Note: The mirroring session will get suspended Until you resolve this issue and hence the principal server will work in an exposed manner .

• sqlapprentice (4/28/2011)

free_mascot (4/28/2011)

Thank you for the input.

But the same is not ture for the shrinkfile 🙂

Have fun! (on test environment)

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply