Database mirroring and service accounts

• Hi,

I am trying to configure database mirroring with sql server 2012.

My principal instance and my mirror instance are on different server.

Both SQL Server service run with NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER.

Now when I am configuring database mirroring, which service account should I use ?

database account or server account ?

Instead of using domain account, can I :

1- create local account on my two server

2- Add these 2 logins in my 2 instances.

3- use these local account for configuring database mirroring.

regards

C

• cygne17_2 77208 (9/24/2014)

Hi,

I am trying to configure database mirroring with sql server 2012.

My principal instance and my mirror instance are on different server.

Both SQL Server service run with NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER.

Now when I am configuring database mirroring, which service account should I use ?

database account or server account ?

Instead of using domain account, can I :

1- create local account on my two server

2- Add these 2 logins in my 2 instances.

3- use these local account for configuring database mirroring.

regards

C

You need to use a Domain based account, which regardless of Mirroring, I would recommend anyway. You can talk to your Domain Admin and get one for SQL service and one for SQL agent.

If you want to run Mirroring without a Domain based account, you need to use certificates, so both instances can communicate and trust each other. You just cannot create local accounts and add them locally, it won't work.

Check this out, Google is your friend: Mirroring between two stand-alone servers using certificates[/url]

• hi,

thanks for your answer.

Can I use a domain account for the mirroring purpose only and stay with SQL Server Service run with NT Service\mssqlserver ?

Which privilege do I need to give to the domain account ?

regards

David

• cygne17_2 77208 (9/24/2014)

hi,

thanks for your answer.

Can I use a domain account for the mirroring purpose only and stay with SQL Server Service run with NT Service\mssqlserver ?

Which privilege do I need to give to the domain account ?

regards

David

No.

You don't have to use a separate account for Mirroring, that doesn't make sense. Just ensure both machines are on same Domain and SQL service account is a Domain based service account.

If you want to keep you or SQL service account "as is" , follow the previous link I posted and use certificates.

But It seems that you need to read a bit more about mirroring? 🙂 how about this link:Configure SQL Server Database Mirroring Using SSMS[/url]

If you Google it, there are plenty of resources online explaining each step.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply