Database Mirroring and SQL Server 2008 Native Client (ODBC)

• Hi,

We are intending to set up Synchronous database mirroring in SQL Server 2008 (Enterprise Edition) in high-safety mode with a witness server for automatic failover. It is most likely the client application (Powerbuilder v11.5 Professional Edition) will be connecting to the database using SQL Server 2008 Native Client (ODBC). The ODBC driver to be used is SQL Server Native Client 10.0.

My question is, given the above, apart from specifying the default database name and mirror server in the ODBC connection, does anything need to be coded in the client application to facilitate or ensure an automatic failover? or will the database mirroring present the mirror database to the application, such that the application effectively "doesn't care" that a failover has occurred and continue seamlessly to the users on the mirror database (now the principle)?

I've been reading the SQL Server 2008 Books Online for this and can't seem to find any definitive statements on this (even in the Programming Considerations on the following page: ).

Several comments on various sites here and there seem to imply that this automatic failover might work without any extra application coding, but nothing that says anything definitively.

Can anyone help? or at least point me to a page which gives the answer? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• If you application works in a disconnected mode and re-connects when it needs to get data or make a change, you are done. If you application retains an open connection for the duration of the session, you will need to modify the application so it knows to reconnect if the connection to the database has been forcibly closed at the server end.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply