Database mirroring query

• Hi,

I just wanted to ask, if mirroring is set up over a WAN and the internet connection between the sites goes down how does this affect database mirroring?

If the connection between the sites comes back up after a while, how does database mirroring behave?

Thanks.

• zedtec (9/26/2014)

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, if mirroring is set up over a WAN and the internet connection between the sites goes down how does this affect database mirroring?

depends on the type of session and whether a witness is used

zedtec (9/26/2014)

If the connection between the sites comes back up after a while, how does database mirroring behave?

See above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• If I was using High Safety mode with no witness what would it do in this scenario?

How would that differ from if I used a witness?

Also how would it behave if I used High Performance mode?

• For clarity here's the orignal question

zedtec (9/26/2014)

Hi,

Thanks.

Now to get back to the answers you're looking for

zedtec (9/26/2014)

If I was using High Safety mode with no witness what would it do in this scenario?

Simple, in this scenario, the principal and the mirror would be marked as disconnected and the mirror session would be suspended. When the link comes back up the mirror would reconnect and the databases would be marked as synchronising. The mirror would catch up with the principal eventually, one would hope, and the databases would be then marked as synchronised.

zedtec (9/26/2014)

How would that differ from if I used a witness?

depends on whether either partner was still in contact with the witness, at the worst case the principal runs exposed (i.e. no connection between any partners) and the principal database goes offline. This is all explained in Books Online, have a read up for more info

zedtec (9/26/2014)

Also how would it behave if I used High Performance mode?

No great differences really, however, you should not use a witness in high performance mode as directed by Microsoft.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Ok thanks for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply