Database Partitioning

• I did a database partitioning. Do i also need to make some change in existing SPs to speed up the data extraction process from table?

• Including the partitioning key in queries will allow the optimizer to only consider relevant partitions when performing reads.

• Nitin (11/18/2008)

I did a database partitioning.

Do you really mean "database partitioning" like in a distributed database environment or are your just referring to partitioning a couple of tables?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Christopher is correct. Add your partitioning key, always. Without the partitioning key, the query will basically end up scanning all partitions (unless you have a non-partitioned index).

If you're not sure of the correct range, try guessing at a large range... it should still perform better than not using the partitioning key at all.

Regards,

Michelle Ufford
    SQLFool.com - Adventures in SQL Tuning

• christopher.cornish (11/19/2008)

Including the partitioning key in queries will allow the optimizer to only consider relevant partitions when performing reads.

2 questions -

1. "Including the partitioning key" - do you do this with a query hint?

2. Where is a good place to start doing my research on partitioning? I've read a little bit on it, but I'm kinda looking for a "partitioning 2005 sql server for dummies" kinda reference.

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply