Database Performance Improves After Database Restore

• Hi there - I am troubleshooting a performance issue. On our production environment (168GB, 24cores) a fairly basic query takes 20secs to run, but if I restore the same database to a VM (40GB, 8cores) the same query takes 1 second.

SELECT count (*) FROM

WITH (NoLock) WHERE (table.FID IN (359890) OR

(table.FID IN (N'19508e3b-0595-41cf-88f2-c13141e0bc40') AND table.FID = 0))

AND table.date>= '09 November 2014 23:59:59'

AND table.date <= '11 December 2014 23:59:59'

AND table.Type >= 201 AND table.Type < 400

Why would this be? Is there something the restore process does to improve the performance?

Thanks .

--------------------------------------------

Laughing in the face of contention...

• Too much of a hardware difference to say anything useful.

Execution plans of fast and slow?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi - I have attached the execution plans. There is a slight difference in the number of records this because the restore took place a week ago. But the difference in runtime is far greater to attribute the difference to the number of records. Thanks again.

• Cracked it. It was a statistics issue. They're not being updated. Thanks!

• Glad to hear the solution. I was also going to suggest looking into bad parameter sniffing, but it's probably just the stats.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Your initial query was impossible:

WHERE (table.FID IN (359890) OR

(table.FID IN (N'19508e3b-0595-41cf-88f2-c13141e0bc40')

but the query plan cleared it up: the second column is a different column from the first one.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply