Database Properties Question

• Hi there,

I have a backend on SQL 2008 and whne I look at the DB properties, general, the size is 5.25MB and space available is .80MB. What is the space available referring to exactly?

Thanks

• dcsurfer67 (4/2/2012)

Hi there,

I have a backend on SQL 2008 and whne I look at the DB properties, general, the size is 5.25MB and space available is .80MB. What is the space available referring to exactly?

Thanks

in SQL 2008 (and previous and future versions) the DB file has a certain size. this size is set which is the 5.25MB of space you see. the .8 MB of free space is the amount of space left in the file before the DB runs out of space to save data in and has to increase the file size.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• Is it possible to increase the size of the DB on the fly without messing anything up?

• dcsurfer67 (4/3/2012)

Is it possible to increase the size of the DB on the fly without messing anything up?

that is exactly what the auto growth does, when it hits the limit it adds more space. what i would suggest is to look at the expected data additions in x period of time (weeks months quarters years etc) and add that much space plus y% more in case your off and every x check your data file. auto growth is IMHO for emergency's only.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply