Database Size

• Luck then!

• david.wright-948385 (1/21/2010)

Luck then!

Nope.

• Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

david.wright-948385 (1/21/2010)

Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

I selected the correct answer without hesitating.

How'd you do that without knowing which version of SQL Server it was asking about, or whether the model database had been changed!

First, didn't read anything into the question that wasn't there. Second, gut feeling and previous experince. Most of the databases I have created at home in a test system came up 3 MB in size if I didn't specify sizes, so I did assume a default.

I had a similar experience with this question. I got it right without hesitation. That said, I can see the counter-argument being brought up by many. For most of my servers - it is consistent, however, I do have several outliers with different sizes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Luck then!

Nope.

Yes. Luck, because your server apparently has a model database the same size as that of the question author.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (1/21/2010)

Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

Luck then!

Nope.

Yes. Luck, because your server apparently has a model database the same size as that of the question author.

Again, NOPE. Luck implies a total lack of knowledge.

Luck (in this case) means you got the right answer without taking all the issues into consideration. You just happened to make all the right assumptions.

• A terrible question! The correct answer, which was not stated, is: "It depends as it is based on the size of the Model database" plus the default for the log.

Additionally, no SQL Server version was specified.

[font="Arial Narrow"](PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.[/font]

• What I like about this question is that it was worth 1 measly point. Due to the shortness of the question, and the large number who missed it initially - there has been quite a discussion. Thus, those that missed it and posted a comment, and then continued to post have gotten far more than the single point for the question. Which is quite possibly more points than would have been awarded if they had gotten the question correct and the question had been more explicit in description and documentation.

That aside, there still remains the factor that the question could be misleading to some DBA's and lead them astray. However, the more experienced DBA's have tested it, researched it and countered the question with good solid information.

Thus in the end, there was still quite a benefit from this question.

Learn Extended Events

• mtassin (1/21/2010)

I bet this will turn out to be another "the intention of QOD is to make people think" or "you can't comment on this if you haven't submitted a QOD" argument 🙂

It better not. If that were the case, it shouldn't have had 4 numeric answers.

CirquedeSQLeil (1/21/2010)

... Thus in the end, there was still quite a benefit from this question.

Toldya so 🙂

Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

Luck (in this case) means you got the right answer without taking all the issues into consideration. You just happened to make all the right assumptions.

No luck, knowledge. What issues? I simply assumed a default install of SQL Server 2005 (none was specified), made a decision based on what I have seen when creating simple sandbox databases at home. Had I looked at SQL Server 2008, I'd have gotten wrong, as then default size of model has changed.

I really think people think too hard on some of these questions and assume their own environments when they shouldn't.

Now, I think I'll shut-up again.

mtassin (1/21/2010)

I bet this will turn out to be another "the intention of QOD is to make people think" or "you can't comment on this if you haven't submitted a QOD" argument 🙂

It better not. If that were the case, it shouldn't have had 4 numeric answers.

CirquedeSQLeil (1/21/2010)

... Thus in the end, there was still quite a benefit from this question.

Toldya so 🙂

I couldn't resist the opportunity

Learn Extended Events

• I find it quite funny how so few people have got this question correct - out of nearly 1000 you would expect a strong majority of correct answers. It certainly shows the abiguity of the question.

• Two quick points

The question should have had an answer option that referenced the model database

The obvious lesson is: If you care about the database size, specify it!

Cheers

David

• Ambiguity perhaps ... but in this instance, I actually got it right! I guess I happen to fall into that realm of a 2MB/1MB database when I create a new one. I love when these QotDs turn into discussions over the vagueries of the question itself. While I agree with everyone who says the question doesn't have an actual answer, I'm not going to make too big a fuss, since I got it correct. 😀

• I have SQL 2008 and the size of a new empty database is: 3MB for the mdf file and 1MB for the ldf file, so in total are 4 MB instead of 3MB 😀

Stibally 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply