Database Space Critical

• My production database has available space that is showing at 2GB and I have 10GB space available on a drive where the log files and data files are place. Both are set to autogrow. Log is restricted to 8Gb mab and data to 2Gb more than it currently holds.This space was released after doing a DBCC Shrinkfile on that drive, hence the 10Gb free .Before the DBCC operation there was no space on any of our drives. Usually any time of the day my database would have 10GB free space with log file size at 10Gb.Nowa after the DBCC the log size is 125 MB.Can I bank on this space, what is my best option for the moment to keep the database operational and also available space atleast over a GB

Thanks in advance

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• If you cannot add more disk space your only option is just read your post... your answer is in there.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi

Well lets start off by saying that shrinkfile is not the way to manage space and it causes all kinds of fragmentation issues and should not be done on a regular basis if at all (ok only in dire emergencies). What I would do is set your log file size to around 1Gig and manage that space by doing regular log backups. If you don't need your log for your backup and restore stratergy then set the recovery model to simple this will stop you log file from growing out of control and filling up the disk space. From your post you said that you shrank the file anyway so this means that you are not using your log file recovery and a simple model would be fine. Obvisously this is your call and you need to make the decision. Hope this gives you some ideas how to go forward.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply