Database spanning multiple drives

• Hi everyone,

is there any impact on performance if the database spans multiple drives.

For eg: I have a production database that is running out of space and I would like to expand (data drive) onto another drive, before doing that I wanted to know if there's any impact on the performance if the data file is on multiple drives.

any input/suggestions greatly appreciated  -

Regards!

• RAID (redundant array of independent disks) devices that allow data to be striped across multiple disk drives, permitting faster access to the data because more read/write heads read data at the same time. A table striped across multiple drives can typically be scanned faster than the same table stored on one drive. Alternatively, storing tables on separate drives from related tables can significantly improve the performance of queries joining those tables.

for more help visit the site:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/70/proddocs/diag/part1/75528c01.mspx?mfr=true

• I take it your database is already set up, which means there is no opportunity to set up a new drive array.  Now the database is running out of space, but there is available space on a different drive array that you want to utilize with minimum impact on your resources.  

You can add a new datafile to the file group, (in fact, I was taught that you should have one datafile for each server processor in each file group). Whether it slows you down, depends on your array, controllers and the number of processors the system have.  You can create a new file on a different drive array and then use the empty file option of the DBCC Shrinkfile, which in turn would move all data from the file you are emptying to the other files within the group, thereby keeping all of your data in the same datafile (if you are only working with one processor), or if you have two processors, simply add a new datafile which should not slow you down too much.

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply