Database Stuck in Single User Mode

• I know this has been asked countless times, and there are loads of solutions on the internet about it but I feel like I've explored every avenue.
    I changed a database to SINGLE_USER mode so I could restore over the top of it, and it's claiming now:

Msg 5064, Level 16, State 1, Line 16
    Changes to the state or options of database 'dbname' cannot be made at this time. The database is in single-user mode, and a user is currently connected to it.

Now, using sp_who2 tells me there are nothing but system processes accessing the database, they all have spids less than 50 so I can do nothing about them. I've tried killing everything else and running this code:

USE [master]
    SET DEADLOCK_PRIORITY HIGH
    --exec sp_dboption '[dbname] ', 'single user', 'FALSE';
    ALTER DATABASE dbname SET MULTI_USER WITH NO_WAIT
    ALTER DATABASE dbname SET MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

Many times.
    At this point I'm thinking my only solution is to restore my database under a new name and change the app accordingly.
    Do I have anything else I can try?
    Thanks

• WoundedParrot - Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:43 AM

I know this has been asked countless times, and there are loads of solutions on the internet about it but I feel like I've explored every avenue.
    I changed a database to SINGLE_USER mode so I could restore over the top of it, and it's claiming now:

Changes to the state or options of database 'dbname' cannot be made at this time. The database is in single-user mode, and a user is currently connected to it.

Now, using sp_who2 tells me there are nothing but system processes accessing the database, they all have spids less than 50 so I can do nothing about them. I've tried killing everything else and running this code:

USE [master]

Many times.
    At this point I'm thinking my only solution is to restore my database under a new name and change the app accordingly.
    Thanks

It used to be the case that all SPID's below 50 were system processes but no longer. Were you in Management Studio when you put the database into single user mode and if so is that session still open? That should still hold the single connection to the database.

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:54 AM

WoundedParrot - Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:43 AM

I know this has been asked countless times, and there are loads of solutions on the internet about it but I feel like I've explored every avenue.

USE [master]

Many times.
    Thanks

It used to be the case that all SPID's below 50 were system processes but no longer. Were you in Management Studio when you put the database into single user mode and if so is that session still open? That should still hold the single connection to the database.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    Sadly not, my session is not the one holding the single connection.
    Of all the sessions I see connected to the database I want to restore over, they're all blocking each other and they're issuing the TASK MANAGER command. When I've tried to kill these sessions I'm told they're system processes that can't be killed.

• Crisis over, bizarrely restarting my SSMS has released the lock. Bizarre, since it was doing next to nothing!

You live and learn!

• It could be that you have OE or some other dialog with a lock. I've seen that. Sometimes disconnecting in SSMS (OE + windows) helps.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply