Database Suspect - OS error 32

• I am having a problem with a database going suspect.

After my Veritas backups complete, I automatically execute a script to start sql server.

During startup of the database I receive the following errors;

udopen: operating system error 32 (the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) durin ghte creation/opening of physical device e:\....................mdf

FCBpen failed; Could not open device e:\.................mdf for virtuaol device number (VDN) 1.

Device activation error.  The physical file name 'E:\............mdf' may be incorrect

According to the logs the backups have completed and there is no anti virus software executing.

What else could have the database locked?  It just started doing it this a couple of weeks ago. 

• Why not try and use filemon, free from sysinternals. Use the app to find out what has hold of these files, and if you find out you can eaither kill the process or change the offending process to release the file as part of its execution

• First of all I dont understand why You do it this way. Let SQL Server make a backup to disc, which You can copy to tape, and then exclude *.LDF, *.MDF and *.NDF. Depending on your freespace, You can have multiple copies on disc and not to forget, it is faster to recover from disc than from tape.

Secondly if You want to keep Your strategy, try to apply a pause before starting SQL server again to give Veritas more time to release the files.

Regards

Ib-Rene Kruse

• You say backup to disc .Does SQL allow  backing up directly to a CD?

• I havent checked it out. And as it is removable I have no interest in it either.

I would still backup to disc, and then copy this backup to a backup media.

Regads Ib-Rene Kruse

• The veritas backups were setup by the system administatrator who didn't know anything about SQL server.  Everything on all 3 servers is backed up on the weekend (saturday-sunday).  It was been working fine for the last year.

The SQL database backups were setup by the DBA.  Most run friday night.  One server has some databases that also get backed up during the week.  The dba left the company about 6 months ago.  The applicatioins developers have taken over the dba responsibilities.

We just started having problems about 3 weeks ago.  One of the databases on one of the servers has a problem when sql server is started.  It says the file is in use and the database goes into suspect mode.  The database recovers fine but it delays the ability to use the file because it has to be recovered.

Checking the internet it pointed to antivirus and backup software as the possible culprits.  But, from what I can tell the antivirus software is not executing.  I have since excluded the SQL files from the antivirus software to ensure that this is not the problem. 

I am now looking into how to add a pause in the SQL script which is executed after the veritas backup completes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply