Database traffic

• Hi

I need to find out the database traffic on my server. I need to find out the peak periods when the database usage is high.

I was thinking of setting up a server side trace and auditing logins to the server. Is there any other better way to do this?

Do i need to audit logins or can i look into RPC:Completed event in the trace?

I was thinking of running the trace for around 4-7 days and then look at the data to come to a conclusion. The database is a 24/7 db with a reasonable(:ermm:) number of users connected to it.

Please post your valuable suggestions. Thanks.

"Keep Trying"

• Check the following link

http://207.46.16.252/en-us/magazine/2005.05.systemtables.aspx

• There are a number of ways you can do this, but in general, I'd take what you're doing with trace events (and I'd only capture rpc complete and sql batch complete, nothing else) and combine it with some performance monitor counters, such as connections, some others, and collect it over time. That's the best way to do it unless you bring in third party tools such as Idera's Diagnostic Manager or Microsoft's Operations Manager.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant.

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply