Database Transaction Log growing at 3-4GB per hour!!

• Dear Everyone,

One of our key production databases has suddenly had its transaction log grow at an out of control rate - averaging 3GB growth per hour for the last 4 hours! My VM colleagues have helped me by increasing available diskspace, but this will only buy me some time.... I need a solution fast!

My working theory is that the website that sits on top of the Db has an out of control process that is asking the Db to do stuff repetitively. However, I have no idea what that process might be.

I have posted on that website that I may have to take the site down for emergency maintenance and plan to do that if things haven't improved by 10pm tonight.

But any advice from the online community would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark Thornton

• Can you run a server-side trace for a bit and see what it comes up with?

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Try to see which transaction(s) are taking up the space and kill it if possible..

You can find out with the DMV's with something like this (ordered by log space used)

Select B.session_id,A.transaction_id,C.database_transaction_log_bytes_used,C.database_transaction_begin_time,

DATEDIFF(Second,C.database_transaction_begin_time,getdate()) TimeTaken_In_Seconds,B.HOST_NAME,B.program_name,B.login_name,

b.login_time as UserLoginTime

from sys.dm_tran_session_transactions A

Join sys.dm_exec_sessions B On A.session_id=B.session_id

Join sys.dm_tran_database_transactions C On A.transaction_id =C.transaction_id

ORDER BY

c.database_transaction_log_bytes_used

• hmmmm.... this query returns zero rows.....curiouser and curiouser!

• Take a read through this: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Transaction+Logs/72488/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Important piece of information: last night's Full Backup failed, at 00:30 in the morning.

I presume this means that more data needs to be stored in the Transaction Log.....?

• No it does not. If your log backups are failing or the full backup is still running however...

Please read through that article and identify what is preventing the log from being reused. Until we have that information we are all guessing.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• log_reuse_wait_desc = LOG_BACKUP

I have increased the frequency of log backups to every 15 mins, instead of every hour.

Is that a step in the right direction?

Best wishes

Mark

• Check that your log backups are running then. if the log has been growing, it suggests that the log backups haven't been running at all.

Wait for the next log backup (or run one now), then check again and see if there's another reason.

Gail Shaw

• I should have also mentioned that recovery_model_desc = FULL.

• One of the hourly backups failed in the middle of the night, but all have run OK since then.

I have changed to every 15 mins, and the first one of those has just run OK.

Best wishes

Mark

• If the log backups are succeeding, that's not the root cause. Check again, see if there's another reason for the log to not be reused.

Gail Shaw

• I have re-run this query:

SELECT name, recovery_model_desc, log_reuse_wait_desc

FROM sys.databases

WHERE name = @DatabaseName

Same results: recovery_model_desc = FULL, log_reuse_wait_desc = LOG_BACKUP

Puzzling!

• EDIT: deleted comments... I must have missed a bunch of previous posts 🙂

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Can you confirm that your transaction log backups are running successfully?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply