Database translog backup when database offline

• Hello!

I have a SQL server 2005 with multiple databases.

There is a job that runs every half an hour that takes a backup of the transaction log for all the databases.

I need to perform some operations that require that i take the databases offline.

I understand that i should stop the database translog backup job while it is offline, but what would happen if the job stays on?

Just an error message? Something worse?

Unfortunately i do not have any test environments to test this before i need to perform the operation.

• You'll get an error. Whether or not it stops the process, I can't say, not knowing what kind of code you have, error trapping, etc.

I would suggest that it's more than a little bit nuts to run processes on production without testing them somewhere else first. You don't have a local version of SQL Server? A Developer's edition somewhere? Something? Seriously, learning on the fly against production data is not exactly a responsible act.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• If you are using maintenace plan then there is a option to exclude the offline databases and also if you have made any customized script in that also alter the script to exclude the offline databases.

• Yea blows my mind also, but the customer has no test environment that can be used to test these things. :w00t:

Lucky me. Thank you all for the replies. I am thinking about simply disabling the Translog backup as the offline time will not be more than 1 hours. It should not be any problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply