Database Tuning Advisor has No Recommendations

• I know that the dta isn't the be-all and end-all, but I just ran all our database SPs eleven times over in a script file and the dta returned no suggestions. Admittedly it's a puny intermediary database with four tables, but it still feels good... 😛

I, as a programmer, have learnt *so* much over the past months about DBA-ing it feels nice when something pops up and says that everything seems ok.

The tables themselves contain 1 000 000/1 800 000 rows of data, all generated using the amazing Data Generation tool from RedGate except for about 10 rows of real data that are being used.

Erm, the dta *does* analyse the statements inside SPs when they are called, right?

Apologies to the mods if this belongs in your /dev/null section.

• The Advisor can catch some of the low hanging fruit that might need tuning, but I wouldn't hang my hat on its results, positive or negative. I've seen it suggest completely useless indexes and I've seen it miss the most obvious key lookup fixes. It can be useful. For larger scale systems than you're currently working with, it's not that great.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'm with Grant. The DTA gives you a place to start, especially if you're not sure where, but I wouldn't trust it much beyond using it for suggestions that I'd examine further.

• Thanks guys. And yeah, I know that it's a "low hanging fruit"-type tool.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply