Databases in Not Synchronizing / Recovery Pending status

• I have databases in an always on cluster in the following state of "Not Synchronizing / Recovery Pending" status. When I run a command to take one database offline in single user mode I get the following error.

Msg 1468, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The operation cannot be performed on database "Name" because it is involved in a database mirroring session or an availability group. Some operations are not allowed on a database that is participating in a database mirroring session or in an availability group.

Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

Failing it over to another node does not resolve the conflict.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

• Are there any clues in the default availability group extended event sessions or sql server logs, primary and standbys, about why recovery is pending?

There are many operations you cannot do to a database participating in an availability group. Your only option to set it in single user mode is to remove the database from the group as the error message says.

Regards

• Have a look through the error log, find the errors that state why SQL is marking that database recovery_pending.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply