Dataware House, Data mining and OLAP?

• Hello can any one tell me waht is mean by Dataware House, Data mining and OLAP?

• I have listed some information concerning the questions that you asked.

The definition of the following terms are as follows:

Data Warehouse: They use a Dimensial Data Model as opposed to a Relational Model. They have a completely different structure than a Relational Model.

Data Mining: Please refer to the following link:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/~norman/BUS.FOR/course.mat/Alex/"> http://www.laits.utexas.edu/~norman/BUS.FOR/course.mat/Alex/

OLAP: Uses a Dimensional Model as opposed to a Relational Model

MOLAP: In this type of OLAP, a cube is aggregated from the relational data source (data warehouse). When user generates a report request, the MOLAP tool can generate the create quickly because all data is already pre-aggregated within the cube.

ROLAP: In this type of OLAP, instead of pre-aggregating everything into a cube, the ROLAP engine essentially acts as a smart SQL generator. The ROLAP tool typically comes with a 'Designer' piece, where the data warehouse administrator can specify the relationship between the relational tables, as well as how dimensions, attributes, and hierarchies map to the underlying database tables.

Credit: Ralph Kimbal

OLTP uses a relation model and the data is transformed into a dimensional model to create cubes and data mine.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• sherwincurt (4/21/2011)

Hello can any one tell me waht is mean by Dataware House, Data mining and OLAP?

Fully answering this question may require not least than the full content of four different boos! 😀

Let's start this way:

A Data Warehouse is a database designed for storing massive amounts of data and create the necessary underlying conditions for consistent reporting. Usually but not necessarilly a DW is designed and implemented according to Dimensional Modeling.

OLAP is nothing but a reporting technique that usually answers specific multi-dimensioal questions by accessing a Data Warehouse.

Data Mining refers to the algorithms and set of rules needed to discover "hidden data" a.k.a. patterns and relationships in the raw data stored in a Data Warehouse.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Welsh Corgi (4/23/2011)

I have listed some information concerning the questions that you asked.

Data Warehouse: They use a Dimensial Data Model as opposed to a Relational Model. They have a completely different structure than a Relational Model.

This is incorrect. The dimensional model is not a defining feature of a data warehouse. There are many data warehouses that have nothing to do with dimensional modelling. The term data warehouse is usually said to have been invented by Bill Inmon who defines it as a Subject-oriented, Non-volatile Integrated and Time-variant representation of data.

• David Portas (4/26/2011)

Welsh Corgi (4/23/2011)

I have listed some information concerning the questions that you asked.

This is incorrect. The dimensional model is not a defining feature of a data warehouse. There are many data warehouses that have nothing to do with dimensional modelling. The term data warehouse is usually said to have been invented by Bill Inmon who defines it as a Subject-oriented, Non-volatile Integrated and Time-variant representation of data.

Couldn't agree more and elaborating on top of it let me add that Billl Inmon does not advocates dimensional modeling but 3NF for the actual DWH. Ralph Kimball approach to DWH is the dimensional one.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply