Date conversion problem

• I am trying to convert varchar data '27/04/2012'( dd/mm/yyyy) to date column as like below conversion

cast (Processing_Date as date).

But it giving error like 'Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string'

Seems to be varchar data is changing into yyyy/mm/dd(2012/27/04) after conversion.thats is the problem. i.e month and day value changed.

Please help to resolve the issue by correct format before loading data?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
    Kumar

• KumarSQLDBA (9/14/2012)

I am trying to convert varchar data '27/04/2012'( dd/mm/yyyy) to date column as like below conversion

cast (Processing_Date as date).

But it giving error like 'Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string'

Seems to be varchar data is changing into yyyy/mm/dd(2012/27/04) after conversion.thats is the problem. i.e month and day value changed.

Please help to resolve the issue by correct format before loading data?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

The default string format for converting a character string to date is YYYY-MM-DD. try this:

select convert(date, Processing_Date, 103)

• Read this link for reasons why Lynn chose 103 and what all those numbers mean:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928.aspx

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SET DATEFORMAT DMY;

--SET DATEFORMAT MDY

DECLARE @processing_date AS varchar( 10 );

SET @processing_date = '27/04/2012';

SELECT CAST( @Processing_Date AS date );

this should work as well, but I think it is better to use previous solution and understand the options available

• Better still, just always use 'YYYYMMDD[ 24h:mm:ss.sss]', which always works, regardless of SQL settings.

'20120427'

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• ScottPletcher (9/14/2012)

Better still, just always use 'YYYYMMDD[ 24h:mm:ss.sss]', which always works, regardless of SQL settings.

'20120427'

Problem is you don't always have that choice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply