Date Conversions

• Thanks Lynn, that certainly is good to know.

• great question Lynn - something I had not encountered so great lesson for me here! cheers

• Now I know why this question is worth 2 points:

One point is for the question per se.

The other point is due for the high grade of difficulty on read the answer options 😎

Good excercise for the eyes too, but now I need a glasses with more gain 😛

• 1 minute of thinking, 10 minutes of looking for the right answer among those offered... But a nice question, anyway - thanks, Lynn!

• I would like to hear a SQL philosopher/historian explain how this situation came about. It seems such a violation of language orthogonality - lying in wait to create bad data.

• Very interesting behavior. Thanks for the question.

• Nice question, answers were hard to read, but in the end I got my point.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• When you run the follow script in SSMS, which of the outputs do you expect to be returned?

Surely all answers are right, unless chooses an unexpected answer? 😛

I was aware of the point the question was looking to make, but couldn't be bothered fighting through the text to prove it so picked one at random. I got it 'wrong'.

• The posert should have limited to only two options.

even though we knew the answer very difficult to spot on from the options.

Seems like a test for the eyes rather than SQLserver. 😀

• I get it, I should have used the DATE data type instead of DATETIME2 for the question so I could have left off the time portion on the answers. How about everyone just quit complaining about that, this wasn't a test for the eyes.

I found out about a behaviour regarding datetime conversions that existed starting in SQL Server 2008 with the addition of several new date/time data types that I wasn't aware of and that wasn't even described why it was happening and I dug into it more. I thought it would be a great QotD and submitted it.

Also, for the code as presented, there is only one correct answer.

The reason I didn't give only 2 possibilities is that I didn't want it to be a 50/50 guess. I was trying to make it a bit more challenging than that.

• Koen Verbeeck (6/5/2012)

Very interesting question, but those answers were hard to read 🙂

+10

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• AndyK-565224 (6/6/2012)

I would like to hear a SQL philosopher/historian explain how this situation came about. It seems such a violation of language orthogonality - lying in wait to create bad data.

I agree - it seems like a bad idea.

Found this chart on BOL "Using Date and Time Data"

There are some subtle format differences that seem very arbitrary to me.

• Carla Wilson-484785 (6/8/2012)

There are some subtle format differences that seem very arbitrary to me.

It's often a backward-compatibility thing.

• Why wouldn't all selects error out as in the example in MS189491 when the set dateformat's used both end with year but all the dates start with the year?

• Good way to return from vacation. Good question, but reading the answers was a new experience in eyeball manipulation:crazy:

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply