Date field default value

• We are in discussion on whether to set default value of a date to Null to a bogus data such as '01/01/1900'. I have been looking on the internet for guidance about Null with date but only things I have found are general statements about Null. I know can cause problems with coding when not expecting them. If you have a more current books or documents on best practice for database designs I would appreciate any help. I have found a lot of references to Cobb.

In addtion, What is a valid definition of Null? We have found couple different definitions as show below:

1 - used to represent either a missing value or a value that is not applicable in a relational table

2 - means unknown and not a value

• Bridget Elise Nelson (4/27/2009)

What is a valid definition of Null? We have found couple different definitions as show below:

1 - used to represent either a missing value or a value that is not applicable in a relational table

2 - means unknown and not a value

Click here BOL-Null Values for the official definition.

Edited to fix url link.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• What do you mean about BOL?

Thanks for response.

• Bridget Elise Nelson (4/27/2009)

What do you mean about BOL?

Thanks for response.

BOL is SQL Server Books OnLine.

This is the built-in help file for SQL Server. You can access it from your start menu | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server 2005 | Documentation and Tutorials | SQL Server Books Online. This should be your #1 stop for finding things out about SQL Server.

Note that the bolded part in my previous message is a hyperlink - just click it to open the Microsoft internet-based BOL for that topic.

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• i personally prefer to set it as null.easier on the eye when looking through the database and working out whether it has a valid date against it or not.

but i dont think it really matters. 01/01/1900 is a nothing date anyway

• davidandrews13 (4/27/2009)

i personally prefer to set it as null.easier on the eye when looking through the database and working out whether it has a valid date against it or not.

but i dont think it really matters. 01/01/1900 is a nothing date anyway

It makes a difference when you start trying to do grouping operations by date.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• Depending on the size of your project and what exactly you're using the information for. However, handling of NULLs should be a common, and expected, practice. Furthremore, you don't want your programmer or your end user to think that 01/01/1900 actually means anything other than "I don't know this date, I can't know this date, I can't make assumptions about this date".

Also, if other people after you will be doing work with this database, NULL will make more sense to them than 01/01/1900.

---
    Dlongnecker

• WanyeS, your link looks broken. I also couldn't find the BOL NULL page myself.

The wiki page is a pretty good read though -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_(SQL)

---
    Dlongnecker

• dlongnecker (4/27/2009)

WanyeS, your link looks broken.

Whoops. Thanks, I fixed it above.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply