date match + / - day

• Hi
    I have a project table that has a column called  TargetDate. This is the date the project was scheduled to be completed by.

there is a column called CompletedDate - this is the actual date the project was completed

is there a way by datediff or a crossmatch to find closest match... if any project  CompltedDate is +1 day / -1 day of the TargetDate

please help

• WITH DateDiffs AS (
       SELECT *, DENSE_RANK() OVER ORDER BY(ABS(DATEDIFF(day,TargetDate,CompletedDate))) AS RowNo
        FROM Mytable
        )
    SELECT * FROM DateDiffs
    WHERE RowNo = 1

John

• joanna.seldon - Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:01 AM

Hi
    I have a project table that has a column called  TargetDate. This is the date the project was scheduled to be completed by.

there is a column called CompletedDate - this is the actual date the project was completed

is there a way by datediff or a crossmatch to find closest match... if any project  CompltedDate is +1 day / -1 day of the TargetDate

please help

Is this an accurate representation of your problem and the solution expected? If it's not, please share sample data and expected results in the same format I used (using DDL and Insert statement).

CREATE TABLE #Project(
      projectId int,
      TargetDate date,
      CompletedDate date
    );
    INSERT INTO #Project
    VALUES
      ( 1, '20170603', '20170601'),
      ( 2, '20170603', '20170602'),
      ( 3, '20170603', '20170603'),
      ( 4, '20170603', '20170604'),
      ( 5, '20170603', '20170605');

SELECT *
    FROM #Project
    WHERE CompletedDate >= DATEADD(dd, -1, TargetDate)
    AND CompletedDate <= DATEADD(dd, 1, TargetDate);

DROP TABLE #Project;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply