Date type compatibility

• Is there any sort of documentation on which data types are compatible without needing to use a data conversion transformation (and by omision from that which need a data conversion transformation)?

I'm sure there must be and I'm just not using the right key words to search on.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Quick suggestion: Integration Services Data Types

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/1/2015)

Quick suggestion: Integration Services Data Types

😎

Thanks. I had come across that link, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for something that would tell me by data type which other data types it can be moved to without requiring a data conversion transformation.

• marcia.j.wilson (1/2/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/1/2015)

Quick suggestion: Integration Services Data Types

😎

Thanks. I had come across that link, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for something that would tell me by data type which other data types it can be moved to without requiring a data conversion transformation.

Did you look at the pages referenced from that article such as Working with Data Types in the Data Flow?

😎

Within SSIS there is no such thing as implicit type conversion, if the binary format/size/value doesn't match the data type in question, the task will fail.

• One example of what I was looking for was whether DT_R8 would map to DT_NUMERIC. (It did.) I was getting one of those errors where you know something's not mapping right, but no indication of which column. (And I had over 100.) I didn't want to create unnecessary data conversion transformations.

• marcia.j.wilson (1/2/2015)

One example of what I was looking for was whether DT_R8 would map to DT_NUMERIC. (It did.) I was getting one of those errors where you know something's not mapping right, but no indication of which column. (And I had over 100.) I didn't want to create unnecessary data conversion transformations.

The mapping from DT_R8 double precicion floating point to a DT_NUMERIC may work but some unexpected results can occur depending on the actual values, would suggest ample caution on the matter.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/2/2015)

marcia.j.wilson (1/2/2015)

One example of what I was looking for was whether DT_R8 would map to DT_NUMERIC. (It did.) I was getting one of those errors where you know something's not mapping right, but no indication of which column. (And I had over 100.) I didn't want to create unnecessary data conversion transformations.

The mapping from DT_R8 double precicion floating point to a DT_NUMERIC may work but some unexpected results can occur depending on the actual values, would suggest ample caution on the matter.

😎

I'm pulling in a numeric field from an Excel spreadsheet. Even though it's always an integer, it wants to interpret it as DT_R8. I don't how to force it to come in as an integer. I probably could force it to come in as a string (by having the program that creates the Excel spreadsheet put a quote in front of it. I've done that for columns that have alphanumeric data to ensure they get interpreted by SSIS as a string.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply