DB Backup maintenance plan

• Hi,

I have a maintenance plan with different subplans, one of which is to backup all databases on the server. Each plan is then scheduled and listed under SQL Agent as a job.

The problem is, SQL Agent indicates the DB Backup subplan/job failed, but when I look at the Maintenance plan history, it shows that the subplan was successful. Plus if i go the the path where the backup files are saved, they are all there.

Why would the 2 different in the outcome of this job/plan?

I am listing the entry under SQL Agent, even though it does not make much sense to me 🙂

Executed as user: ComputerNameHere\SYSTEM. ...n 9.00.3042.00 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 2:30:00 AM Progress: 2009-04-24 02:30:42.02 Source: {49C41A03-4889-447B-935C-2DDFE19B5A8C} Executing query "DECLARE @GUID UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-04-24 02:30:42.77 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N'D:\Program F".: 7% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-04-24 02:30:42.77 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N'D:\Program F".: 15% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-04-24 02:30:42.77 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N'D:\Program F".: 23% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-04-24 02:30:42.77 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create... The package execution fa... The step failed.

Any help?

• you can get logs from the package itself. The Agent log has no information in it.

I'd enable logging for the package and examine those files for more information about what might not be working.

• I have seen these kinds of problems when the client tools used to create the maintenance plan is a lower version than the system where the plan exists.

Verify that your client tools are at least the same patch level or greater than the server. If the client tools are not the same version, upgrade to the latest version and recreate the plans.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks for your replies.

This also happens with my Transaction log backup files - a job that runs every 10 minutes.

It indicates that the Transaction log backup job has failed - but when I access the folder where these files are stored, they are all there - no missed files.

Is there a way to test if these TRN files work - without doing an actual restore of the database and then a restore of the log file?

• Hi,

Please check if 'On success action' it says -'Quit the job reporting Failure'

By mistake if you have choosen it then also you might see this job saying -- Failed where it should say... - Succeded..... 🙂

Rgds,
    Pankaj

• I checked the 'On success' action. Would have felt like an idiot if that was the case... But No, all settings are correct for on success and on failure.. phew...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply