db migration

• Hi All,

We are planning the db migration from sqlserver 2000 to sqlserver 2005 in one of our production box soon.

We are going for backup and restore option.

Please help me out the following questions.

1. What are the steps need to be taken pre-migration and post-migration.

2. Can we configure the logshipping between sqlserver 2000 to sqlserver 2005.

Please suggest if any good option for this request.

Thanks, Karthik

Kindest Regards,

karthik

• If you are planning to migrate all databases or there is only one database in your sql server 2000, then upgrade will be a more better option.

DBDigger Microsoft Data Platform Consultancy.

• Only one database at this time.

what about the logshipping option in between 2000 and 2005

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

karthik

• karthikeyan (5/12/2009)

Hi All,

We are planning the db migration from sqlserver 2000 to sqlserver 2005 in one of our production box soon.

We are going for backup and restore option.

Please help me out the following questions.

1. What are the steps need to be taken pre-migration and post-migration.

2. Can we configure the logshipping between sqlserver 2000 to sqlserver 2005.

Please suggest if any good option for this request.

Thanks, Karthik

I believe that Microsoft has some checklists and planning guides for this at their site.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• We just got done this and it was a real F'ing nightmare man. Use the wizard if you can and if not then check out dts xchange from Pragmaticworks.com, thats what we used and it helped a ton. Only worth it if you got enough packages though.

• Ballad (6/9/2009)

We just got done this and it was a real F'ing nightmare man. Use the wizard if you can and if not then check out dts xchange from Pragmaticworks.com, thats what we used and it helped a ton. Only worth it if you got enough packages though.

Could you be more specific about which wizard to use and what parts were a nightmare to migrate?

I ask only because I have done several SQL 2000 to 2005 migrations for different customers and most parts were very easy and simple.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• I had something like 500 DTS packages that were all full of garbage (like active x) and manually doing it was killing me. I wanted to run them in compatibility mode but someone sold the boss on SSIS so I was doomed from the get go.

• Migrating DTS is not migrating a database. It is something different. And it is a pain.

We are happy to help with questions on items, but not general ones like what do we do to log ship. Do your own research and check the MS site for procedures, as noted above.

• yeah I wasn't paying attention I guess. I've been doing this project so long, when I see the word "Migrating" I have dts on the brain

• If you have 500 DTS packages, I bet you have DTS on the headache!

• Ballad (6/9/2009)

I had something like 500 DTS packages that were all full of garbage (like active x) and manually doing it was killing me. I wanted to run them in compatibility mode but someone sold the boss on SSIS so I was doomed from the get go.

Yes, I would agree with that. The current project that has been consuming so much of my time recently is the same thing. It is very time-consuming and slow going (or "Why I hate GUI development tools used a language development substitutes.")

[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply