DB Reindex script needed

• Hi all,

Does anyone have a good DB Reindex script I can use? Here's the one I've got from another website, but it keeps falling over, looking for tables that aren't there and then (presumably) the whole job gets rolled back:

CREATE PROC ind_rebuild

AS

DECLARE @TableName sysname

DECLARE cur_reindex CURSOR FOR

SELECT table_name

FROM information_schema.tables

WHERE table_type = 'base table'

OPEN cur_reindex

FETCH NEXT FROM cur_reindex INTO @TableName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

PRINT 'Reindexing ' + @TableName + ' table'

DBCC DBREINDEX (@TableName, ' ', 80)

FETCH NEXT FROM cur_reindex INTO @TableName

END

CLOSE cur_reindex

DEALLOCATE cur_reindex

GO

On a sidenote, doesn't CREATE PROC create another instance of 'Ind_rebuild' every time it's run??

Thanks,

Jaybee.

• This should do it

sp_MSforeachtable

@command1="print '?' dbcc DBREINDEX ('?')"

so_MSForEachTable is undocumnented stored procedure

hth

David

• I don't understand the syntax too well, where do I change the database name or how do I pass the name into the Exec statement? And can I change the fill-factors, or are they just rebuilt as they originally were?

Thanks,

Jaybee.

• It just enumrates each table in the database so to use it in a particular database you would just do this

USE Database

GO

sp_MSforeachtable @command1 = "print '?' dbcc DBREINDEX ('?')"

This will only rebuild it with the original fill factors.

• USE Northwind (for example)

GO

sp_MSforeachtable @command1 = "print '?' dbcc DBREINDEX ('?')"

That's it?!?!???  I can put that in a scheduled job and have it reindex my db???

Jaybee.

• Yeh thats it.

• If you're doing all the tables in the database, your can use a maintenance plan to perform it as well. Create the plan with the wizard, schedule it as frquently as you need it done and, voila, it's done!

Terry

• You know, that's just how I ended up doing it...all the other scripts kept falling over due to missing tables, but I didn't even realise the Maint Plan had a defragger...!!!  Just goes to show how rusty I am.

Thanks all, but special thanks to Mr Crosby!!

Jaybee.

• Any thoughts/ideas as to a good way to defrag/reindex a db that is in 6.5 compatibility and creates TONS of blocking locks?  Using the maintenance wizard kills the db...we're online 365x24x7, so there really isn't a good time to do maintenance. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply