DBA Interview questions.

• Hi,Can anyone please give me interview questions for SQL Server 2k and 2k5,I am having interview on this coming Monday?

In phonic interview i was asked more about backups,space management,performance tuning(slow running database and query,blocking/locking,latest running batchs etc etc).

Also i was asked about clustering if you have 5 nodes where one is passive and rest are active and you are planing to add more nodes then what would be the naming convention.

Thanks

Irfan

• Also i was asked about clustering if you have 5 nodes where one is passive and rest are active and you are planing to add more nodes then what would be the naming convention.

Umm, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Bashful, ... uhh, ... Cranky, Surly, Snarky, and Doc. 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Also i was asked about clustering if you have 5 nodes where one is passive and rest are active and you are planing to add more nodes then what would be the naming convention.

1 passive and 4 active nodes. What kind of business architecture model it will be and what could be the business requirement behind adopting this way of setting up clusters.

Only way i can think of is to have single instance of sql server on each node. Can anyone give me some another better example?

Also what will happen if 2 active nodes try to fail over at same point in time?

• Only way i can think of is to have single instance of sql server on each node. Can anyone give me some another better example?

Also what will happen if 2 active nodes try to fail over at same point in time?

There's nothing wrong with that implementation... it means you only have to buy one server for hot standby.

The chances of two servers going down at the same time are much less than one going down. If it does happen, then as long as you understand and plan for the degradation in service, it's not a problem.

If a third server went down, you could fail that over to one of the other active nodes, so unless you were in HUGE trouble, you would still only have two instances running on any one server.

• RBarryYoung (10/1/2009)

Also i was asked about clustering if you have 5 nodes where one is passive and rest are active and you are planing to add more nodes then what would be the naming convention.

Umm, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Bashful, ... uhh, ... Cranky, Surly, Snarky, and Doc. 😀

umm, that is eight and what happens if you have more 😛

Search this site for interview questions, otherwise post examples of areas you are not sure of, and we can try and point you in the right direction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I'm willing to point you at lists of questions, sure, but studying questions & answers is no way to prepare for an interview. You either know the technology to the level that they're asking for, or you don't. Saying "I don't know" is an acceptable answer. Actually, it's the answer I want to hear if you don't actually know. If you give me half an answer or a total BS answer, I'm likely to know because I don't usually ask a question unless I'm reasonably confident I already have the answer.

If you really want to prep for the interview, study the company and it's industry. Go in with questions about their development & deployment processes, on call duties and rotation, industry specific information... Trying to bone up on technology is probably a mistake.

But, I've posted our phone screen questions[/url] on my blog. You can read those if you think it'll help.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• An interview question about the naming convention for their servers????

My immediate inclination would be to ask if they were joking. If not, my second inclination would be to tell them what a dumb question that is, and, if they were interested, why it's a dumb question. If they seriously think that's a good interview question, there's no way I'm working for them, so letting them know the question is dumb won't cost me anything.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply