DBA job not busy enough

• WayneS (6/14/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/14/2009)

Also, test the restoration of backups and maybe write the standard guidline for doing such a thing. Maybe even go whole hog and setup/test a disaster recovery program.

First, what all is necessary to test the restoration of backups? I've been looking at standing up a server that grabs the daily (full) backups from the other servers, and restoring them one-by-one. Is this sufficient to test the restoration of a backup?

I agree with ALZDBA just said. And those are the types of problems you need to resolve BEFORE the need to do a panic restore ever happens. Once it's all figured out for your particular installation(s), I'd document the heck out of it and mount it in a "Break glass in case of emergecy" box on the wall.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Database/Server Optimization

Training

Documentation

Training

Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery establishment, testing and documentation

Training

Detailed, in-depth system analysis

Training

System Clean-up (are there procs that aren't in use, files that aren't in use, etc.)

Training

That would be my main list.

After that, you could add something like getting trial versions of every DBA tool you can find and trying them all out. You could work out upgrade paths for databases and servers to SQL 2008 (assuming you haven't already got that done).

All of those have potential/actual value to you and your employer.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply