DBA Needs help with IIS

• Because a web application uses a SQL Server database :-), I need to move it from a Windows 2000 server to 2003.  There is a link on the front page where a user can download an Access database with an extension of .drop (meaning once the user drops it onto their pc they just delete the extension.)  Anyway, when clicking the link on the Windows 2003 server I get HTTP Error 404 (File or Directory not found) and have done some research, but can't seem to find the answer.  Article 315122 suggests adding a New Web Service Extension, but I didn't think downloading a file would fall into this category.  I also opened up all permissons on wwwroot and the web application folder so I don't think it's a permission issue.

I'm continuing to research but don't seem to be getting anywhere.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

• The first thing sorry Access is not RDBMS so I don't use it but here is a trick that might help you, you can run IIS in 5 mode when you first move the application verify the file exist, meaning what is the name of the solution file holding your file see if you need to make adjustments because that file may need new trust level when you recompile the dll before you can run it in 2003.   Is it Asp.net or Asp if it is Asp cannot help on the dll level.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Sorry, I wasn't very clear--I was getting just a bit frustrated.  The application uses SQL Server 2000, but there is an Access front-end that users can download to "administer" certain functions.  Since the web application has a SQL Server backend I get to move it :-p

Anyway, I may have found the solution.  I made a MIME entry for the .drop file extension and I get a download box so I think I'm good.  Artilce 248033 memtions that a MIME type imight not be enabled so I added one just for the heck of it.  I definitely don't know my way around IIS but am starting to learn (the hard way).

Thanks.

• I am glad to see you have resolved your problem but you can post your IIS questions in the link below.

http://forums.iis.net/

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks.  I'll keep it nearby.

• Sorry to be late, but the MIME extension thing got us as well. W2K3 is more secure and doesn't allow a bunch of extensions like W2K does. For example, we have a bunch of articles with links to .sql downloads. They fail now and I slowly fix them one by one.

It's annoying, but I am glad that the security is better and it's worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply