DBA''s more scarce in 2007

• I know I'm a scare ressource this year, my schedule is busy for the next few months. Almost up to christmas (if you consider the normal week hours at 100) .

• I've tried to hire 3 DBA's since 2001 and I have never gotten a very good pool. Usually the bulk of applicants are Network admins that have "installed SQL Server" or have done some backups - give them a SQL test and they bomb. I have a DBA position open now and sure enough I have tons a network admins applying. So I don't think 2007 is any worse.

I do notice that most DBA jobs are in crappy locations (no offense: Houston, Phoenix, Chicago...) So I would say a good DBA job in a good location is even more scarce than a good DBA.

• Brian,

Where are you? Houston crappy? You'll get my buddy David Reed banging on you for that one.

Of course, unless you're in Denver, you're missing out

• Granularity, Steve and Brian, granularity. I know that Houston was developed without zoning, which resulted in some strange neighbors (industrial next to residential, etc). There are parts of Chicago I won't go into for fear of my personal safety, and there are parts that I can't afford to go into because my pockets aren't deep enough. Many people will consider CA a terrible location. But there are dramatic differences between San Francisco and LA and San Diego! Also, without a description of criteria, who's to judge?

• I lived 25 years in Los Angeles area and 5 years outside San Francisco. SF is the crazy uncle of the west coast and living in LA is like living with a schizophrenic roommate ("Which LA am I speaking to?").

I've live in Phoenix the last 4 years. Can't complain, even about the hot summers. In fact, I see the heat as the main thing that keeps Californians from moving out here more than they already do. Gotta appreciate that!

SLC is LA-lite. There's nothing there but who cares?

Um, the "no offense" caveat applies.

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• I've never been to SLC, but from the folks I've talked to about it, very nice to visit. The surroundings are a little sparse to someone who's used to both lots of greenery and the change of seasons (if not measurable snowfall, at least the crisp air that comes with it).

• Steve -

May be a small world and I'm aware that Houston has about 5mill people running around but are you talking about the David Reed that used to work for eRealty.  I've got a friend who knows him pretty well.   He's a solid guy.

• Not sure David Reed of Microsoft Consulting, one of the new SQL Rangers. http://blogs.msdn.com/reedme/

• So about this SQL DBA/HTML Developer/Particle Physicist position.  I meet all of the requirements except for the last.  Do you think they would allow me to learn particle physics on the job?  Is there an Exam Cram book for that?

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Heh... "Particle Physics for Dummies"

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Modern Physics in 21 days?

I did not like Particle Physics in my college days. I somehow figured out the math and could solve the problems, but didn't understand the meaning of what I was solving.

• In thinking back on it, the ad specifically mentioned only programming skills and duties. It's like they needed a programmer but they just couldn't bring themselves to offer a job to anyone other than a physicist.

The people who work at LLL are obviously exceeding brilliant. Management, otoh, ....

Isn't LLL a federal institution? That would explain a lot: "Cost effective? What is that and why should I be concerned about it?"

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply