dbcc dbrecover error during CheckLogBlockReadComplete.

• Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend one of our SQL Server stopped and now one of the archive databases is flagged as suspect. It does not appear that restoring this database from a backup is an option.

I tried to run a dbcc dbrecover on the database but unfortunately got the following error....

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Msg 5159, Level 24, State 11, Line 1

Operating system error 1117(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105) on file "F:\XXXX_Log.ldf" during CheckLogBlockReadComplete.

Msg 3414, Level 21, State 1, Line 1

An error occurred during recovery, preventing the database 'xxxxx' (database ID 12) from restarting. Diagnose the recovery errors and fix them, or restore from a known good backup. If errors are not corrected or expected, contact Technical Support.

any ideas on best next steps.

Regards

David

• Restore from backup, that's the best approach by far, may be the only one.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail for your reply, unfortunately it does not appear to be an option in this situation 🙁

Regards

David

• Why not?

What's the exact state of the database (from sys.databases)?

What are the errors in the error log relating to this DB (from just after the restart)?

How critical is this database?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Hi Gail,

The reason returning to a back up does not appear to be an option is that, the person I am helping cannot determine the correct backup file for this database.

Looking at the Error log I can see issues in regard to I/O taking a long time

SQL Server has encounter 2 occurances of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file xxxx in database xxxx. The OS file handle is 0x000000000000578. The offset of the latest long I/0 is 0x000003d50e5600

Then is simply reports the messages in the first post.

Regards

David

• That's not an error message, that's informational.

Please can you answer my questions. I really need to see all and every message relating to that database in the SQL error log. If you're not sure, just post the whole thing, the errorlog from after the restart over the weekend.

Gail Shaw

• Hi Gail,

These are the errors relating to the DB in the Errorlog...

2014-03-03 01:17:27.53 spid21s Error: 5159, Severity: 24, State: 11.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.53 spid21s Operating system error 1117(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105) on file "F:\DBNAME Logs\DBNAME_Log.ldf" during CheckLogBlockReadComplete.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.56 spid21s Error: 3414, Severity: 21, State: 1.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.56 spid21s An error occurred during recovery, preventing the database 'DBNAME' (database ID 12) from restarting. Diagnose the recovery errors and fix them, or restore from a known good backup. If errors are not corrected or expected, contact Technical Support.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.63 spid7s Recovery is complete. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.77 spid80 A read of the file 'F:\EDatabasename\EDatabasename.mdf' at offset 0x00000000854000 succeeded after failing 1 time(s) with error: 1117(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105). Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This error condition threatens database integrity and must be corrected. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.78 spid79 A read of the file 'F:\EDatabasename\EDatabasename.mdf' at offset 0x00000000854000 succeeded after failing 1 time(s) with error: 1117(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105). Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This error condition threatens database integrity and must be corrected. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

2014-03-03 01:17:27.78 spid81 A read of the file 'F:\EDatabasename\EDatabasename.mdf' at offset 0x00000000854000 succeeded after failing 1 time(s) with error: 1117(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105). Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This error condition threatens database integrity and must be corrected. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

2014-03-03 01:17:29.00 spid81 Attempting to load library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\xp_ndo_x64.dll' into memory. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

• TerrenceTheCat (3/3/2014)

Hi Gail,

The reason returning to a back up does not appear to be an option is that, the person I am helping cannot determine the correct backup file for this database.

what does this mean exactly?

This SQL will tell you the locations of backups and when they were taken

select a.database_name,a.type,user_name,a.backup_finish_date,b.physical_device_name

from msdb..backupset a inner join msdb..backupmediafamily b

on a.media_set_id = b.media_set_id

where database_name = 'yourdb'

order by backup_finish_date desc

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Definitely not good.

GilaMonster (3/3/2014)

What's the exact state of the database (from sys.databases)?

Gail Shaw

• Have you tried using EMERGENCY mode and using DBCC CHECKDB to rebuild the log and make the database accessible (albeit transactionally inconsistent)? That's your last resort in this situation.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Thanks everyone for your help today, your guidance and input is very much appreciated as always. The Database was created from a full file backup copied from another database on a different server over a year ago.

I have placed the database in Emergency mode and I am currently performing a repair DBCC CHECKDB

I will let you know how I get on.

Best regards

David

• TerrenceTheCat (3/3/2014)

Thanks everyone for your help today, your guidance and input is very much appreciated as always. The Database was created from a full file backup copied from another database on a different server over a year ago.

Good luck.

On the remote chance the file used for the restore is still around and your restore history has not been purged the following tells you where databases were restored from

SELECT [rs].[destination_database_name],

[rs].[restore_date],

[bs].[backup_start_date],

[bs].[backup_finish_date],

[bs].[database_name] as [source_database_name],

[bmf].[physical_device_name] as [backup_file_used_for_restore]

FROM msdb..restorehistory rs

INNER JOIN msdb..backupset bs

ON [rs].[backup_set_id] = [bs].[backup_set_id]

INNER JOIN msdb..backupmediafamily bmf

ON [bs].[media_set_id] = [bmf].[media_set_id]

ORDER BY [rs].[restore_date] DESC

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply