dbcc shrinkfile and size of data

• Hi

We have a database that is about 46Gb with 1Gb free. When running sp_spaceused I get the following data:

reserved=36220312 KB

data=34770736 KB

index_size=1197256 KB

unused=252320 KB

However after running a DBCC SHRINKFILE on the file (using the gui) with the same size as the file already is, the database is still 46Gb but with 30,5Gb free. sp_spaceused reports the following

reserved=5949816 KB

data=4603456 KB

index_size=1197256 KB

unused=149104 KB

How do I accomplish that kind of "compression" (lack of a better word) without shrinkfile and is there any way to avoid the kind of waste?

• You should shrink the db only if you really, really need it - but not on a regular basis. Please take a look at

http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.database.aspx?pr=blog

Also this forum offers lots of good advice regarding this.

That's not a "waste". The database will grow in time, whether you shrink it or not.

• dmoldovan (10/14/2009)

You should shrink the db only if you really, really need it - but not on a regular basis. Please take a look at

http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.database.aspx?pr=blog

Also this forum offers lots of good advice regarding this.

That's not a "waste". The database will grow in time, whether you shrink it or not.

As I wrote, in reality I don't shrink the database to a smaller size, but just forces SQL to reorganize all pages because the database will in most cases grow. But currently dbcc shrinkfile is the only method that I know of that reorganizes all pages and I'm looking for another method of doing that (I've tried different scripts that reorganizes index and tables without luck) and perhaps a way to avoid that internal fragmentation through fillfactor or other methods.

• anders-906993 (10/14/2009)

As I wrote, in reality I don't shrink the database to a smaller size, but just forces SQL to reorganize all pages because the database will in most cases grow. But currently dbcc shrinkfile is the only method that I know of that reorganizes all pages and I'm looking for another method of doing that (I've tried different scripts that reorganizes index and tables without luck) and perhaps a way to avoid that internal fragmentation through fillfactor or other methods.

Did you recently delete a lot of data from the database? Was the data that was deleted contained in an LOB type column?

I am guessing here, but that is what I think happened. After deleting that data - the tables that contain the LOB data are not compacted until you perform an index rebuild on the clustered index (if you have one) and set LOB_COMPACTION on (default).

If that doesn't fix the problem - then most likely your table does not contain a clustered index. Without a clustered index there is nothing that can be done to free up that space unless you create one.

So, by shrinking the data file - SQL Server now can re-organize the pages and free up the allocation to those pages. It also causes the other tables/indexes to become fragmented and you need to perform a reindex now to defragment them.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Well, the database is a part of our dw/bi (I'm in operations and dba is just one of my chores), but I'm quite sure that some of the data or most of the data are changed every night. The thing about LOB and clustered index is indeed interesting and I'm going to have a look into that next week.

Did you recently delete a lot of data from the database? Was the data that was deleted contained in an LOB type column?

I am guessing here, but that is what I think happened. After deleting that data - the tables that contain the LOB data are not compacted until you perform an index rebuild on the clustered index (if you have one) and set LOB_COMPACTION on (default).

If that doesn't fix the problem - then most likely your table does not contain a clustered index. Without a clustered index there is nothing that can be done to free up that space unless you create one.

So, by shrinking the data file - SQL Server now can re-organize the pages and free up the allocation to those pages. It also causes the other tables/indexes to become fragmented and you need to perform a reindex now to defragment them.

• We do shrink each file, but first we check if it contains a lot of unallocated space (e.g. > 10%):

-- Skip small files

IF @totalextents < 2000

BEGIN

PRINT 'Skipping file ID ' + CAST(@filegroupid AS VARCHAR(10)) + ', total extents allocated is < 2000 (' + CAST(@totalextents AS VARCHAR(50)) + ' is allocated)...'

GOTO NEXTFILEGROUP

END

-- If there is not much space to regain by shrinking, skip that file

SELECT @regain = CAST(@usedextents AS DECIMAL(30,2)) / CAST(@totalextents AS DECIMAL(30,0))

IF @regain > 0.90

BEGIN

PRINT 'Skipping file ID ' + CAST(@filegroupid AS VARCHAR(10)) + ', there is less than 10% space to regain (' + CAST(CAST((@regain * 100) AS INT) AS VARCHAR(10)) + '% is used)...'

GOTO NEXTFILEGROUP

END

SET @sqlcommand = N'USE ' + @databasename + N'; DBCC SHRINKFILE (' + CAST(@filegroupid AS VARCHAR(10)) + N',' + CAST(@targetsize AS VARCHAR(10)) + N');'

PRINT 'Shrinking database file with Fileid ' + CAST(@filegroupid AS VARCHAR(10)) + ' in database ' + @databasename + ' with command ' + @sqlcommand + '...'

After shrinking, it is absolutely nessecary to run ALTER INDEX ... REORGANIZE with a fillfactor of e.g. 95%.

It looks like it is the only way to get rid of all that unallocated space. Now, the database will stay small (unallocated space will stay low), even if you run rebuild/reorgaize regularly (be sure to use the same fillfactor as when you did the REORGANIZE immediately following your SHRINKFILE command).

It works! It runs once a month.

Anyone that disagrees?

Kindest Regards,

Lennart Gerdvall
    payex.com

• Data warehouses tend to grow pretty well. Why both to shrink? If you needed 45GB at one point, won't you need it again relatively soon?

If there is a space issue, you could shrink, but you're not getting any benefit by shrinking because you think there is wasted space. Growing a database is relatively expensive, so I'd leave that space in there for now. Index rebuilds, maintenance, adding back data, all will use space.

• Lennart Gerdvall (12/15/2009)

Anyone that disagrees?

Absolutely, 100% disagree. Why do you want to shrink? Databases tend to grow as more data gets put in them. It's in their nature.

Shrinking causes massive fragmentation and will just result in the data file growing again next time data gets added. When that happens, the entire system will slow down as the file is expanded. Also repeated shrinks and grows will cause fragmentation at the file-system level, which is hard to fix.

See - http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2007/09/08/shrinking-databases/ and

http://brentozar.com/archive/2009/08/stop-shrinking-your-database-files-seriously-now/

and all the various posts that those two link to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • And index reorg might be what you're looking for. It'll shuffle around the pages, condensing them and removing as much fragmentation as it can. Note that a reorg won't use a fillfactor, like an index rebuild would. Also, be careful doing a reorg as it uses the log file heavily.

• Edit: Removed incorrect info.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• From Books Online: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189858.aspx

Reorganizing also compacts the index pages. Any empty pages created by this compaction are removed providing additional available disk space. Compaction is based on the fill factor value in the sys.indexes catalog view.

• Well, e.g. we have a partitioned database which allocates a new file for each month. We remove unallocated space in all prvious mont if nessecary. The database had grown to 530 GB and now after shrink and reorg it only has 5% unallocated space and uses 300 GB. So we saved 230 GB SAN-disk. And, do you people never delete old data not used. Why pay for unallocated space?

Kindest Regards,

Lennart Gerdvall
    payex.com

• Fragmentation on a NetApp SAN-disk is no problem - you do not need to do any defragmentation. We have skipped Diskkeeper which we used for the old local disks.

Kindest Regards,

Lennart Gerdvall
    payex.com

• Lennart Gerdvall (12/16/2009)

And, do you people never delete old data not used.

Sure, and if that old data that has been removed creates free space that will not be reused within a reasonable amount of time, then I would do a once-off shrink. However that's not the common situation.

The common situation is that old data is removed on a schedule and new data is constantly added. In that case, there's no point in shrinking the file (giving the free space back to the OS) only for the data file to have to grow within a short period of time, reclaiming all that space that was released. If that's happening, there's absolutely no gain in shrinking. You can't say it's saving space because it's space that will will be needed again by the database.

Shrinks are not cheap operations, nether are data file grows. Rather just leave the free space inside the data file so that SQL can reuse it as it needs to do so

Gail Shaw

• It seems to me that most of you people agreess that it is OK to do a SHRINKFILE "within a reasonable amount of time" so what is that? One month or one year? Depends on the application? Or the cost of disk space?

Kindest Regards,

Lennart Gerdvall
    payex.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply