DBCC Timewarp

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/10/2010)

Can we perhaps send the customers and OPs through DBCC TimeWarp instead? Move them to tomorrow, 2020?

Nah... make that 1920... don't have to look forward to them that way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks Jeff - LMAO.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• lmu92 (2/6/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

13 - to be used when target system is more than 1024 miles away (might be safe to turn it on starting at an estimated range of 800 or so). Not recommended to be used for short range transfer since it may have side effects on the time part leading to undesired results.

This is some confusion as to the range in which parameter 13 is usable. In general it can be used for intercontintal transfers in ranges up to roughly 1178.39 miles, the exact amount varying according to the local geometry of the earth at the detsination. It is extremely risky to attempt to use this parameter at ranges below 921 miles (similarly varying), unless other parameters are arranged to ensure an adequate time shift. It has been suggested that the greater time shift required for shorter distances when using parameter 13 indicates a fundamental flaw in the Transformation Theory of Dirac, but the underlying physics of DBCC TimeWarp is not well understood and it may be that a description consistent with Transformation Theory can be achieved; however any such description is likely to contradict the Copenhagen interpretation, and be completely incompatible with Bohr's Principle of Complementarity so onlly Einsteinian physicists accept that this is possible. Until the underlying phyisics are properly resolved, it is recommended that the use of parameter 13 for distances not close to the center of the theoretically acceptable range of geographical displacements are carefully protected by use of parameters 342, 348, and 351 (which in these circumstances should not be considered optional) to avoid undesirable temporal inversion.

Tom

• Don't know if I can imbed, but if you follow this . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyssf9k0qdM

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • Tom.Thomson (2/16/2010)

This is some confusion as to the range in which parameter 13 is usable. In general it can be used for intercontintal transfers in ranges up to roughly 1178.39 miles, the exact amount varying according to the local geometry of the earth at the detsination. It is extremely risky to attempt to use this parameter at ranges below 921 miles (similarly varying), unless other parameters are arranged to ensure an adequate time shift. It has been suggested that the greater time shift required for shorter distances when using parameter 13 indicates a fundamental flaw in the Transformation Theory of Dirac, but the underlying physics of DBCC TimeWarp is not well understood and it may be that a description consistent with Transformation Theory can be achieved; however any such description is likely to contradict the Copenhagen interpretation, and be completely incompatible with Bohr's Principle of Complementarity so onlly Einsteinian physicists accept that this is possible. Until the underlying phyisics are properly resolved, it is recommended that the use of parameter 13 for distances not close to the center of the theoretically acceptable range of geographical displacements are carefully protected by use of parameters 342, 348, and 351 (which in these circumstances should not be considered optional) to avoid undesirable temporal inversion.

Thank you for clearing that up.

• Forget DBCC TimeWarp. I just discovered DBCC PayIncrease.:-P

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Robert Davis (2/18/2010)

Forget DBCC TimeWarp. I just discovered DBCC PayIncrease.:-P

ahh but DBCC Payincrease requires DBCC Timewarp in order to function properly.

Learn Extended Events

• I had this topic come up the other day outside of the forums. When I recounted to my wife, she asked if i told them to try dbcc timewarp.

Dang it - perfect opportunity missed:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Can't believe this thread gave me a feeling of loosing 7 points for QoD (humour) this morning.

Yes. I lost the QoD about DBCC TIMEWARP. I couldnt find this thread in time.

I wish if theres something to go back and put 137 there in the answer.

Mad being a fool in April 1 2010.

Cheers DBAs

John

• bigM (4/1/2010)

Can't believe this thread gave me a feeling of loosing 7 points for QoD (humour) this morning.

Yes. I lost the QoD about DBCC TIMEWARP. I couldnt find this thread in time.

I wish if theres something to go back and put 137 there in the answer.

Mad being a fool in April 1 2010.

Cheers DBAs

Just run dbcc timewarp and go ghange your answer. 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Nicely Fooled Every One By This Question.............!

• I really thought 42 was the answer.:-P

• 8" SINGLE - SIDED FLOPPIES - NOW THERE'S A TIMEWARP hehe:

Tom in Sacramento For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• I'm using Xpress edition, it doesnt have this ability.:cool:

John

• I feel your pain, it's so hard to upgrade. Well depending on your version you might have ticker tape, foil, or even a card deck.

Failing all that, just go out on the redwood deck and wonder how the technophobic proletariat are going to make it... for some there may be no hope, no hope a'tall :w00t:

Tom in Sacramento For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply