DBROCESS is dead or not enabled Error - Please Help

• We have many users who run an off-the-shelf application that is using direct connection through ODBC to the SQL Server 2000 DB that is behind the scenes on this app. The app is a FAT client install on every workstation.  I have had teh odd reported error from some users that says:

DBROCESS is dead or not enabled

Can someone point me in the right direction to what may be causing this?

My first thoughts are that they have the app open and are using it, then they leave their PC or use a different application for some time. Then when they go back to the app, they get the DBPROCESS error. I am assuming there is a timeout setting somewhere.

Would this be a setting on the SQL Server, or within the app itself? Do I need to speak to the vendor or can I change a setting in SQL to fix the problem? OR could it be a network glitch?

If someone could help, that would be great.

Thanks.

cheers,

J

• Have you checked the event logs on the server and client?

Most likely culprit is network connectivity. Are there any configuration options in the client that allow you to increase time outs or something?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• I agree with Phil in that it sounds like your network conneciton is being dropped at some point.  I saw this error a couple of years ago with a Sybase app and fixed it by updating the client ODBC components.  Are you using the version of MDAC specified by the vendor on the clients? 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply