Deadlock Mystery

• I have one that's driving me crazy here... We have a primary key distribution process that is controlled by one server in a multi-server ETL for data warehousing environment. Up to four SQL Server Enterprise 2000 servers running ETL (and multiple processes from each of those) can hit the stored procedure that hits the table responsible for guaranteeing uniqueness in PK values. It does this by handing out PK ranges to the requesting ETL processes and keeping track of the changes in the master table.

When this process was created back in 2002, we realized we needed to use a table lock to prevent deadlock scenarios. With the table lock at the beginning of the stored procedure, we eliminated the deadlocks and haven't seen one since... until now. Recently, a customer running our stuff upgraded to a new, faster SQL Server. Suddenly, deadlocks are being sprinkled through the nightly load cycles like hand-grenades cast out of a moving car. Where and when they'll hit is relatively random, but it seems they hit one or two servers once a load cycle.

Is it possible that the new installation of SQL Server on the new server is ignoring the table lock hint? Or is it possible that the speed of the new server is somehow working to create an environment right for the deadlocks to appear?

Below is the code. I sure could use some advice. Thanks in advance!!!

CREATE PROCEDURE sg_UpdateTableMax

@tabname CHAR(30),

@server INT,

@minval INT output,

@maxval INT output

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @ret INT, @interval INT, @ins_err INT, @updt_err INT, @rowcnt_var INT

-- set range interval here

set @interval = 50000

DECLARE tabmax CURSOR FOR

SELECT MAX_VALUE FROM TABLE_MAX_MASTER WITH (XLOCK,HOLDLOCK)

WHERE TABLE_NAME = @tabname

FOR UPDATE OF MAX_VALUE

BEGIN TRANSACTION

OPEN tabmax

FETCH NEXT FROM tabmax INTO @ret

IF ( @@FETCH_STATUS <> 0 ) -- no match

BEGIN

INSERT INTO TABLE_MAX_MASTER VALUES ( @tabname, @interval + 1 )

select @ins_err = @@ERROR

if ( @ins_err <> 0 )

BEGIN

RAISERROR ( '%d - Error inserting record into TABLE_MAX_MASTER for %s',

18, 1, @ins_err, @tabname ) WITH LOG

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

CLOSE tabmax

DEALLOCATE tabmax

RETURN(1)

END

ELSE BEGIN

SET @maxval = @interval

SET @minval = 1

END

END

ELSE BEGIN

SET @minval = @ret

SET @maxval = @minval + @interval - 1

UPDATE TABLE_MAX_MASTER SET MAX_VALUE = @maxval + 1 WHERE CURRENT OF tabmax

select @updt_err = @@ERROR, @rowcnt_var = @@ROWCOUNT

if ( @updt_err <> 0 )

BEGIN

RAISERROR ( '%d - Error updating record into TABLE_MAX_MASTER for %s',

18, 1, @updt_err, @tabname ) WITH LOG

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

CLOSE tabmax

DEALLOCATE tabmax

RETURN(2)

END

END

INSERT INTO TABLE_MAX_HISTORY VALUES ( @tabname, @minval, @maxval, current_timestamp, @server )

select @ins_err = @@ERROR

if ( @ins_err <> 0 )

BEGIN

RAISERROR ( '%d - Error inserting record into TABLE_MAX_HISTORY for %s',

18, 1, @ins_err, @tabname ) WITH LOG

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

CLOSE tabmax

DEALLOCATE tabmax

RETURN(1)

END

COMMIT TRANSACTION

CLOSE tabmax

DEALLOCATE tabmax

RETURN(0)

END

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

• Have you tried to put the 'begin transaction' just after the set @interval = 50000 line ?

• Does the table TABLE_MAX_MASTER have any indexes?

If not, based on the manner of access, I would suggest that clustered index on the TABLE_NAME column would seem appropriate.

An index is important as what may be happening is that the select is xlock'ing records it reads over checking for the TABLE_NAME matching the @tabname passed, i.e. a Table Scan, which may mean it's locking more records and thus there is more locks from which deadlocks can occur.

• enable the deadlock traces and send the information in logs. Then somebody can tell whats happening.

• You say you want a table lock. If so, you need to use TABLOCKX, not XLOCK.

• Thanks for the replies!

The problem is, indeed, missing indexes on the table sitting on the server that is misbehaving. I will be switching the pk distribution process back to that server this weekend after adding the missing indexes.

Thanks, everyone 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply