Dealing with Supervision

• That is a very typical repsonse from a micromanager. As I said before, they don't tend to like people to know that they don't have their priorities in order, so they give general response like this. "Just do them all.." They also typically avoid answering emails as well, because this tends to require a response that that they can be quoted on later in a meeting. Micromanagers typically change their minds all the time, primarily because they don't have a clear battle plan or methodology. So as a result, they do not like anything that can possibly pin them down.. Like I said, they can be the most frustrating and demoralizing force in the workplace. I tell folks all the time that don't answer emails, "You are in the IT business and that requires communication, if you don't like answering emails then maybe you should consider another line of work." 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (2/7/2013)

That is a very typical repsonse from a micromanager. As I said before, they don't tend to like people to know that they don't have their priorities in order, so they give general response like this. "Just do them all.." They also typically avoid answering emails as well, because this tends to require a response that that they can be quoted on later in a meeting. Micromanagers typically change their minds all the time, primarily because they don't have a clear battle plan or methodology. So as a result, they do not like anything that can possibly pin them down.. Like I said, they can be the most frustrating and demoralizing force in the workplace. I tell folks all the time that don't answer emails, "You are in the IT business and that requires communication, if you don't like answering emails then maybe you should consider another line of work." 😀

I tend to find that these characters do not consider themselves in IT or even in the sector that they are working in but management.

As a recent graduate (so a LONG time ago) a colleague was asking all the graduates on our team what our ambitions were. This was a totally informal chat between the guys and gals over a cup of tea (this is England, don't you know). One chap responded said that he wanted to be a manager and when asked of what he said that it didn't matter. Talk about blind ambition. I bet he achieved it and I bet he is not very good at it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (2/8/2013)One chap responded said that he wanted to be a manager and when asked of what he said that it didn't matter.

Gary,

Like I said before, it's about control. Micromanagers want control over other people's lives. It's not about helping other people in their team to acheive their goals and/or the companies goals, its about their need to control. It's about self-promotion, in other words it's about them...:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• hakim.ali - Monday, February 4, 2013 7:28 AM

Peter Trevor (2/4/2013)

Many years ago I was in a team that had a manager who was prone to micro-manage. Usually we factored that in to our estimates but I remember once, when we were all under a tight deadline: We knew this guy had a thing about the smell of garlic, so at lunchtime we all bought Chicken Kiev and chips from a local vendor to eat at our desks. This was not planned in advance, there was no conspiracy, we all just happened to choose the same meal option. And as the aroma of garlic filled the open plan office, the manager was strangely absent for the rest of the day. We made the deadline.

Where's the 'Like' button on this page? 🙂

Times have changed!!! Like away 😀

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• A big part of the problem is the way in which people become managers, the support they don't get when becoming managers and the ongoing training that they don't get once they have the title of manager.

In my experience people micro-manage if they have been promoted to a management position from the rank and file without proper support.  They can't let go of their old position and fully embrace their new role.
    To a lesser extent it can occur when someone goes for an external management position from a rank and file position because they want career progression they weren't achieving their ambitions in their previous company.

Management is a skill like any other that needs to be learned, practised and honed.  Some people are natural managers/leaders and some people need to work hard to maintain basic competence.

• It's funny how four years later reading this thread you could all easily be talking about something I witnessed only last week - and by "funny" I of course mean excruciating and depressing.

I used to be a manager and never want to do it again. I was not a micromanager but spent almost all of my time writing emails and going to meetings. It's no wonder managers want to feel involved in proper work every now and then.

• Perhaps the best way to tactfully brush someone off when they are peering over your shoulder is to strike up a conversation about a mundane or personal topic for which you know they don't want to discuss.

"Ever notice this office smells like garlic and onions?"
    "Did you guys ever get the house sold, or is still on the market?"
    "You mentioned the other day that you voted for Trump. So, how do think he's doing so far?"
     :rolleyes:

Of course, if you can't tolerate your boss's management style, then it's probably time to polish up the resume and move on. All the extra special attention may actually be his way of pushing you out the door.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Probably the riskiest experience I dealt with over the years was one position where I worked for a manager with a huge ego and small experience.  One day while I was working through a fairly serious technical issue that was holding up production our IT manager was hovering and distracting which was bad enough to deal with, but he finally blustered 'Well, it can't be THAT hard to fix!'.  I turned around from the work and responded 'Well, if it is so freakin' easy, why don't you fix it yourself?'.

That got me a session with the company owner and his sons.  But later on, the manager was, in fact, dismissed due to chronic alcoholism.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• IT professionals are problem solvers by nature. They tend to swarm around a problem. It is normal, I enjoy the help.
    I once had a client put my desk right in front of his so he could watch over my shoulder. I don't mind that either. I burned through his todo list in 3 hours, he moved me to an office.
    Many commenters have already pointed out that the basic issue is trust. Give trustworthy estimates and hit them. Then if you feel micromanaged, you can point to your track record and ask for earned trust.
  • GeorgeCopeland - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:18 AM

IT professionals are problem solvers by nature. They tend to swarm around a problem. It is normal, I enjoy the help.
    I once had a client put my desk right in front of his so he could watch over my shoulder. I don't mind that either. I burned through his todo list in 3 hours, he moved me to an office.
    Many commenters have already pointed out that the basic issue is trust. Give trustworthy estimates and hit them. Then if you feel micromanaged, you can point to your track record and ask for earned trust.

Are you sure you work in IT ? That advice sounds way too socially correct and diplomatic to be coming from a DBA. :unsure:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:35 AM

Perhaps the best way to tactfully brush someone off when they are peering over your shoulder is to strike up a conversation about a mundane or personal topic for which you know they don't want to discuss.

"Ever notice this office smells like garlic and onions?"
    "Did you guys ever get the house sold, or is still on the market?"
    "You mentioned the other day that you voted for Trump. So, how do think he's doing so far?"
     :rolleyes:

Of course, if you can't tolerate your boss's management style, then it's probably time to polish up the resume and move on. All the extra special attention may actually be his way of pushing you out the door.

LOL, good one.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:34 AM

Are you sure you work in IT ? That advice sounds way too socially correct and diplomatic to be coming from a DBA. :unsure:

I am an app developer. Like a lot of others I picked up some DBA skills because I didn't have time to wait for DBA support. I never bill myself as a DBA but I end up in that role a lot. I have noticed that DBAs tend to be prickly grumps, trust me, that is the personality type that you want as your DBA. App developers tend to be more convivial, trust me, that is who you want developing your apps. My personality is to trust my managers, if they are micromanaging, I assume they have a good reason. Trusting teammates is important to me, I work hard to maximize it where I can.

• GeorgeCopeland - Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:06 AM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:34 AM

I am an app developer. Like a lot of others I picked up some DBA skills because I didn't have time to wait for DBA support. I never bill myself as a DBA but I end up in that role a lot. I have noticed that DBAs tend to be prickly grumps, trust me, that is the personality type that you want as your DBA. App developers tend to be more convivial, trust me, that is who you want developing your apps. My personality is to trust my managers, if they are micromanaging, I assume they have a good reason. Trusting teammates is important to me, I work hard to maximize it where I can.

And trust me, I finished my career with a number of years as a DBA, and most times when I was admittedly a 'prickly grump' was when I had to deal with people who made remarks such as yours.  You DO attract flies with sugar, and flies can be irritating as hell!  😀  Maybe app developers have time to be convivial, I don't know.   I don't think I was hired or paid to be convivial. 

OK, I'm just being a smart arse here, don't get bent out of shape.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• lol perfect example!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply