Debug Stored Procedures in SQL Server 2005 September CTP

• Can you debug stored procedures in SQL Server 2005 CTP September using Management Studio? If so, how to I access the debug option? In 2000, you could right-click the stored procedure and select 'debug' but it does not appear to be available in 2005? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the information gathered from the 'About' page in Management Studio:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (expires in 365 days)      9.00.1314.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools      2005.090.1314.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Microsoft MSXML      2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer      6.0.2900.2180

Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.26

Operating System      5.1.2600

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I have the same question! The Help doesn't seem to exist either.

Note that I've also got VS.NET 2005 Team Suite RC1 on my box. I've also tried debugging sprocs from within a VS.NET DBProject and C# project (I've checked the SQL Debugging boxes on the C# project property pages too). I can set breakpoints in VS.NET just fine, but they don't hit and are shown as disabled if I open the Sproc from the DBMS.

HELP!

• I installed the old SQL2000 tools including Query Analyzer.  However I cannot get debugging to work on a simple tsql procedure.

This is a MAJOR flaw with SQL2005.  Who wants to install something on a QA/staging server that is not going to be on a production server, to troubleshoot?  There are many times that the QA staff will step through code with Query analyzer to assist in the resolution to the issue.  They will not be able to do so now, since we want the QA/staging environment the same as production.  And we are not about to install the IDE on production.

So the list of useful missing items is increased by one:

·       Taskpad

·        Ability to quickly script permissions on stored procedures

·        Ability to quickly see disk space in database properties

·        Time of creation of stored procedures

·        Debug TSQL stored procedures

[font="Arial"]Clifton G. Collins III[/font]

• How could they drop such a great utility?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply