deduping data in a flat file

• I've been given a data file to load into my main database which has quite a few duplicates in it.  The problem is that it's got no unique identifiers in it just address lines 1-6 and a postcode field.

I'm planning on doing a dedupe on address line 1 and postcode.  The only problem now is I don't know how to write the dedupe.  I've only ever deduped using an int field before.  Could anyone please help me?

• First, load into a staging table.   Then you can use code like this:

-- Delete duplicates from mytable

alter table mytable

add id [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL

go

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[deleted_from_mytable]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)

drop table [deleted_from_mytable]

GO

--save deleteds into temp table just in case

select c.* into deleted_from_mytable

From mytable c (nolock)

JOIN mytable c1 (nolock)

on c.[col1]+c.[col4] = c1.[col1]+c1.[col4]

where c.[id] > c1.[id]

go

--now delete the duplicates

delete c

From mytable c (nolock)

JOIN mytable c1 (nolock)

on c.[col1]+c.[col4] = c1.[col1]+c1.[col4]

where c.[id] > c1.[id]

go

ALTER TABLE mytable DROP COLUMN [id]

Bill

• I'd agree with the above. Load into SQL and then dedup.

• Thanks this is brilliant.

All my previous dedupes I've done have involved doing loops and therefore took a while, I knew a self join might be a way forward but never got it to work.

• If you have room for two copies of the data, I think this might run faster than the self-join and DELETE method.

First import the data into a staging table.

Then create another staging table with the same structure, and put a unique constraint on the dedupe fields using WITH IGNORE_DUP_KEY.

SELECT * INTO StageUnique FROM Staging WHERE 1=0

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX IX_StageUnique ON StageUnique (Addr1, PostCode)

WITH IGNORE_DUP_KEY

Now copy the data into the second table.  All duplicates are rejected, which is faster than locating and deleting them later.

INSERT INTO StageUnique  SELECT * FROM Staging ORDER BY Addr1, PostCode

You can add to the ORDER BY clause if you have a preference for which record among a set of duplicates is retained.  For instance, you may want to keep records where Addr2 is defined if there are other records where it is missing.

INSERT INTO StageUnique  SELECT * FROM Staging

ORDER BY Addr1, PostCode, CASE WHEN ISNULL(Addr2,'') = '' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply