Delete an instance in 2005 Express

• I am not an expert on SQL Server admin issues, not by a very long shot; I only know enough to design databases for my VB.NET coding projects.

I recently downloaded and installed SQL Server 2005 Express, and then had a hell of a time trying install Management Studio Express properly.

After about 40 attempts installing and uninstalling (do not laugh!), I finally managed to get it work right. My selected setting is Windows Authentication Mode and for the life of me, I cannot remember if I left the sa password as blank or set it to something as I have tried all possible phrases and failed.

What has saved me is that, all those attempts ended up creating two instances: SQLEXPRESS and MSSQLSERVER.

While I cannot log on to the first one, I can log on to the other one with my Windows login.

Although I log in to Windows as an Administrator, I had a brief scare when I could not create databases on MSSQLSERVER because of Windows UAC. I solved that out by launching MSE with Admin privileges and then adding my Windows account to sysadmin role.

I now want to:

1. Delete the SQLEXPRESS instance permanently

2. Retrieve my sa password

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

goodguy

Experience is a bad teacher whose exams precede its lessons

• if you can login with your windows login, it doesn't matter what the current password is for sa, just change it to a new, known password: you can rightclick>>Properties of the sa login in the GUI, or:

USE [master]

GO

ALTER LOGIN [sa] WITH PASSWORD=N'NotARealPassword'

GO

to remove the installation, you just go to control panel add/remove programs...you'll see your sql instance in there.

ps: love your sig line!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the compliment, Lowell, it is why I am here in the first place.

I cannot log in to SQLEXPRESS with sysadmin privileges as I can at MSSQLSERVER, so that is the problem.

However, I just managed to get round the problem in ConfigManager by changing the instance properties to LOCALSERVICE account instead of LOCALSYSTEM. Now I can log in with sysadmin powers.

Thanks.

Regards,

goodguy

• here's a screenshot to uninstall;

also, i believe if you go to the Surface Area Configuration, you can add yourself(windows login) as an administrator to your instance,a dn then change the sa password:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks again. Just curious, as SQL Server is so complicated to work with, is there any reference or quick guide to help people like me who dont want to be experts in SQL Server but need to work with it get up and about?

Regards,

goodguy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply