Delete "near" duplicate records

• MS SQL 2005

I have a large table and have recently found that one of the feeds to it contains duplicated data with the exception of one field. I want to try and remove one copy of the data, and while I could do a select distinct with a max or min of the one field that is different (number) this would mean sending the data to a new table, deleting the all the data that is duplicated and then re-insterting the now distinct data. As this will continue until we can get the feed from the source system sorted out (which could take months) I was hoping to have an automated way of doing this.

I am ashamed to say I have written a very dirty way to do this :Whistling:, but I am not happy with using it as it is extremely long winded is

DECLARE @count INT

SET @count = 0

WHILE (@count < 100) -- Change to number to remove

BEGIN

DELETE TOP(1) from DWH_STATEMENT_FACT

where Account_FK =( Select Top (1) Max(Account_FK) from dbo.DWH_STATEMENT_FACT

Group By Account_No, Calendar_Date, Data_Source

having Count(Account_FK) >1

and Calendar_DATE = '2011-11-16')

and Calendar_DATE = '2011-11-16'

and Data_source ='IMS'

SET @count = (@count + 1)

END

I am not really worried which of the two copies is removed as the non distinct data is fairly similar. The number of duplicates on a daily basis is in the region of 8,000 out of roughly 300,000 new records. Does anyone know a nice clean way to get the same results?

• Use a CTE, for example:

CREATE TABLE #T(Date_Stamp DATETIME,KW1 DECIMAL(5,1), KW2 DECIMAL(5,1))

INSERT INTO #T

SELECT '12/10/2010', 5.3, 3.1 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/10/2010', 5.3, 3.1 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/9/2010', 4, 2 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/8/2010', 3, 1 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/7/2010', 7.4, 5 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/7/2010', 7.4, 5 UNION ALL

SELECT '12/7/2010', 7.4, 5

with cte

as (select row_number() over(partition by Date_Stamp,KW1,KW2 order by Date_Stamp) as rn,

KW1,KW2

from #T)

SELECT * FROM cte WHERE rn > 1

Once you have tested this, alter the SELECT * .... to a DELETE FROM cte WHERE rn> 1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Oooh Powerful!

I need to test more, but I think I like this CTE.

😀

• adrian.walsh 56299 (11/17/2011)

Oooh Powerful!

I need to test more, but I think I like this CTE.

😀

Definitely test, and test again, and when you believe the results are correct - test again to be absolutely sure.

And thanks for your feedback

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• its good.

I'm newbie on. My hobbies are computer using and internet surffing. Many more thing I found here, which are attractive thats why I join this forum. have a nice day guys.

Hope Its a good journey with you.

thanks,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply