Deleting Copy Only backups from msdb

• We are running into some issues with Veeam's backups showing up as Copy Only backups on a few of our servers.  This isn't an every day occurrence - more like 2 or 3 servers out of a couple hundred every week.  We don't use Veeam as our regular DB backup solution - we still take standard Fulls, Diffs, and Logs.  Veeam is just being used for Disaster Recovery.

Since they are Copy Only backups, they don't mess with our backup chain.  However, there are a few cases where they mess with some of our internal reporting and scheduled utility processes.  We are looking at making coding changes to correct that, but I also wanted to check whether it is possible to delete a Copy Only backup without impacting any other backups?

It looks like the only options are to delete all backups, or delete all backups prior to a certain date.  I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something obvious

• You can't delete the history - but you can ignore those backups in your code.  The table 'backupmediafamily' has the column device_type - which will have a value of 2 for disk or 7 for a virtual device.

You can also look at the column physical_device_name - and include only those backups where the column starts with a drive letter.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply