Deleting Data

• There are companies that exist that recruiters can contract to trawl through social media histories, especially for high profile jobs where any embarrassment could cause a company reputational harm (something the British government should possibly think about before appointing some cabinet ministers).

With respect: "Should" is, again, a word from an ideal. It's not real. for every person that uses the internet honestly, there are plenty of people who use it for their own gain in a slightly less honourable way. It's the nature of the beast.

I read above, the opinion that data about a person is not the property of the person. That is exactly the issue these laws seek to correct. under GDPR, a person's data belongs to them. It expands the requirements for those that hold data to do so more securely and responsibly.

There are also exemptions, such as for law enforcement. For me personally. I like the fact that I have greater say over who stores and uses my data.

• Reading through this, I had a thought about the possibility of people being denied jobs because of "youthful indiscretions."  Aside from the fact that such things have (and likely still are) happening, I think what will / might happen in the long run is a sort of "evolution in action."

People who are kids will see the articles or hear about people getting turned down for jobs because of photos or the like from their younger years, realize that posting *everything* to their FaceInstaLinkedTwit profiles is a BAD idea and start guarding their privacy.
    (You know the sort of stories, the "We see you had a perfect 4.0 at Harvard, but we came across this photo of you from a Halloween party 20 years ago in womens clothes and blackface, and we can't have that at our company" sort of stories that made the rounds.)

Do I think the whole "right to be forgotten" thing is silly (still, it's been several years and it has become law)?  Yes, for several reasons.  I think the first being, the way the law works is search entries get de-listed, but the original source (which is not under the search engines control) is still there, and as was pointed out in other responses, can still be found just by changing your search engine or where the search is run from.  Second, do you really want to work for a company where a hiring decision is based off the 2-3 line blurb in a search engine?  After all, for a time a Google search on my name the top results were about a guy in a different state who died by being strangulated during sex in Arizona.  Even the age (at the time) was correct.  The only time *I've* ever been to Arizona was riding with my brother when he was coming home for a couple days from San Diego and was driving it...
    Should *I* (if such a law were in place in the US) be allowed to petition to have that removed from search results for my name?  And, would I want to work somewhere that tells me "sorry, we can't hire you because apparently you died in Arizona several years ago, so we think you're falsifying something."  Heck no!

• Well, you maybe wouldn't want to hire Bill Gates.
    http://www.jonhs.com/mugshots/gates.htm

I've heard some sketchy things about that Steve Jobs guy too.
    https://www.networkworld.com/article/2222575/data-center/data-center-steve-jobs-lsd-habit-why-he-indulged-in-marijuana-and-his-1975-arrest.html

This story about Mark Zukerberg might be "fake news", but my data mining algorithm flagged him as not-for-hire, so better play it safe.
    https://www.theonion.com/cops-bust-filthy-unshaven-mark-zuckerberg-for-selling-1826940013

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I don't know, but if you're looking for a creative and proactive employee - you better get one of those guys with a history of embarrassing photos from wild parties and torched cars in front of their student accomodation.

On a condition, that those "adventures" are in the past.

• That guy in the dapper suit with no history and the perfectly crafted resume, the one who charmed the CIO on the way into the interview; he's probably a sociopathic serial killer. That's how it works.:ermm:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, July 26, 2018 7:02 AM

That guy in the dapper suit with no history and the perfectly crafted resume, the one who charmed the CIO on the way into the interview; he's probably a sociopathic serial killer. That's how it works.:ermm:

It's no problem filtering out such people during an interview.... they don't know how to get the current date and time using T-SQL. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• HighPlainsDBA - Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:23 AM

I'm willing to bet that North Korea or any other rogue community with the ability to store data will simply ignore this quixotic law. A law is nothing but a piece of paper without the means to enforce it. Seriously, how much damage is the 'issue' doing anyway that it justifies inconveniencing the rest of the planet in it's quest for information and knowledge? Anyone have an assessment on that? It does little to empower anyone, but I suppose it will make the paranoid feel better.

Actually the most likely ignorer of this law is the USA.   Its repreated breaches of the Safe-Harbor treaty in which it had committed itself to obey EU law on personal data for EU citizens demonstrated that sufficiently clearly for the CJEU to declare that the treaty was effectively void and did not allow companies operating in any EU country to pass personally identifiable data other than that required for immigration control to any organisation on the USA, which only missed creating a commercial disaster for American companies because the USA's administration quickly negotiated a new treaty which looked as if it could work. And now it has become clear that the US Administration has no more intention of delivering what it promised than it had with its previous safe-harbor deception, and as a result the EU courts and national DP authorities are heading for declaring the new agreement void too. Maybe North Korea will ignore the European law,as you say,  but I don't imagine that while doing so it will dishonestly claim that it will enforce it in order to get good trade relations with the EU.

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply