Deploy Reports to .NET Application

• Where can I find information on how to distribute my SSRS reports to a Custom .NET application for use. The destination environment will not have SSRS. I want to build my reports and hand them off to my .NET developers and have them incorporate these into our distributable application. Please let me know if you need more information if I am not explaining my situation correctly.

Owen White

• The reports are xml files. They are typically read using the web service in SSRS. Another method is to add a configuration for ReportViewer. But in all of these cases SSRS is required.

SSRS reads the xml file and interprets how the nodes should be utilized and rendered in a report. You would need to essentially rewrite that functionality if you do not wish to use SSRS. But in that case, why not develop the reports in a different tool?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Do you recommend any reporting tools to use for our custom .NET application or is this outside the scope of sqlservercentral and more intended for .NET developer sites?

Owen White

• where is the database for your application and is it sql server?

if sql serrver is the database for your .Net application, then ssrs needs to be configured in that server. you can use report viewer control in the .Net development environment to connect to these reports. Basically the RDl files (SSRS reports) Need to be deployed to the Sql Server and then you can configure the report viewer.

• The database is a SQL server database however the application will not be in our control once it is distributed to our clients. We can't demand that SSRS be installed at the customer site. I am looking for some powerful reporting that I can distribute with my ASP.NET application that is contained in one database so that I can easily manage distribution and updates to the application.

Is it worth just using the ReportViewer control or purchasing the Telerik Reporting or even Crystal Reporting. I am new to this side so please excuse my ignorance.

Owen White

• We did a lot of heavy duty reporting using ASP.Net in one application without Crystal, SSRS, or any other reporting tool. The reports were held entirely within the application code.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply