Deploy SQL Database

• Hello...

I am trying to build a deployment package for a couple of databases to automate the process. I have three databases that I would like to restore the backup of each and then run two to three sql script files against the databases once deployed. I would like a Setup package that will ask the user for servername, username and password, then restore the BAK files with that information then apply the sql script files.

I have been playing around with INNO Setup and IExpress setup this morning and cannot get either one to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how best I can do this.

Thanks

• sqlsponge2 (5/17/2011)

I am trying to build a deployment package for a couple of databases to automate the process. I have three databases that I would like to restore the backup of each and then run two to three sql script files against the databases once deployed. I would like a Setup package that will ask the user for servername, username and password, then restore the BAK files with that information then apply the sql script files.

Are you sure that you want users performing deployments to Database Servers?

Are they going to be connected to the SQL Server when they run the script? You can capture the Server and assign it to a variables.

Are you sure that you want to provide the "Users" with the UserName and Password credentials?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Actually it is not for users. We are trying to turn over the deployment/implementation of our products to our support department to free up development resources. So it is in good hands on the support side, and we plan on creating an account in sql for the deployment then disabling the account after to protect security. I am just having a hard time getting the pieces to come together to build the process.

• if you need a setup screen to show up then it would probably be easiest to create the deployment app in .net,

Otherwise you could have the username and password as part of a configuration file and use powershell or even easier would be to create a T-SQL script to do this and have the username and password as paramters and run this directly on the server

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply