deploying SQL2005 with Ghost

• Having an issue in a dev lab here.

We needed to setup 8 SQL2005 servers for our developers to use. I was in the process of deploying a Win2003 image to the lab and figured we could also deploy SQL in a similar fashion. I had a DBA install 2005 using mixed mode authentication (our security template requires this), and apply any necessary tweaks. I then sysprepped the machine and took an image. It was deployed to all 8 machines, but over the weekend the devs found that the only working machine was the one I took the image from.

It appears that the account name that is used to launch the DB is the issue. Our "dba" has narrowed it to sql being launched from "oldsqlbox\SQLSERVICE" (host\username), but the new machines have unique names and it should launch as "newbox\SQLSERVICE" and SQL is still expecting to be launched from the old name and refuses to start.

Has anyone come across something like this? Are we doomed to manually installing SQL on each of these machines?

EDIT:

Ok. Logged into one of the servers which is running. The machine name is db202, however, all of the accounts show as db101\username. When I try to change the usernames to reflect the server's current name I get the following:

===================================

Unable to rename DB202\dbsadmin. (ObjectExplorer)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ExplorerHierarchyNode.Edit(String newName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.OnAfterLabelEdit(NodeLabelEditEventArgs e)

Rename failed for Login 'DB101\dbsadmin'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Rename+Login&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.NamedSmoObject.RenameImpl(String newName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Login.Rename(String newname)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.SmoRenameHandler.OnRename(String oldName, String newName, Boolean afterSaveAs)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ExplorerHierarchyNode.Edit(String newName)

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(StringCollection sqlCommands, ExecutionTypes executionType)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecutionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(StringCollection queries)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.NamedSmoObject.RenameImplWorker(String newName)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.NamedSmoObject.RenameImpl(String newName)

The name change cannot be performed because the SID of the new name does not match the old SID of the principal. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3042&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=15098&LinkId=20476

Server Name: DB202

Error Number: 15098

Severity: 16

State: 1

Line Number: 1

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

• Never ever Image a SQL server.

Hence your problem.

Sorry. :o(

I can only suggest that you do a Raw Windows build, patch it, cut your Ghost/image of it and install your instance of SQL AFTER you have dropped your image on a bare metal server.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply