Detached DB After Dropping Certificate - Now I can't attached it

• (removed)

--------------------------------------------

Laughing in the face of contention...

• Thanks for the link but it doesn't help me.

The situation I'm in is that I have removed the certificates from server A.

I have the certs on server B but I can't overwrite any of the data in the server A, I just want the certificates. Is there a way of copying over just the certificates.

Is it possible to remove all encryption from a databases that had the certificates so I can migrate them (remember, i don't have the certificate in this situation)

Thanks guys!!!

• arrjay (1/23/2014)

Thanks for the link but it doesn't help me.

The situation I'm in is that I have removed the certificates from server A.

The link does help you, follow the section "To move a database". You need to do the following

• backup the certificate on the server where the certificate exists (syntax shown in the link)
    • on the target server (if you haven't already), create a database master key in the master database (syntax shown)
    • create the certificate on the target server from the certificate backup file(syntax shown)
    • restore the protected database

arrjay (1/23/2014)

Is it possible to remove all encryption from a databases that had the certificates so I can migrate them (remember, i don't have the certificate in this situation)

Thanks guys!!!

Once you complete the above and get the database online you will then be able to disable the encryption supplied by the database encryption key

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• arrjay (1/23/2014)

the certs exist on another server (which the db orginally came from), is there a way of scripting them out and copying them to the server?

backup the certs from the source server and import them into the target server where you are trying to restore/attach this user database.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks for helping Perry.

I probably should have made the link more obvious.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/23/2014)

Thanks for helping Perry.

I probably should have made the link more obvious.

Nice job both y'all

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• the main point of confusion was that the OP was under the impression the cert was encrypted by password when in fact it wasnt, it's protected by the DMK. Had it been protected by a password and that password was lost then the database would have been useless

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks for your help all. I've pretty much nailed it now. Thanks again.

• well done

• Here's another article a bit newer that also describes just what is happening.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply