Detaching a merge publisher

• Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked before..

Has anyone ever detached a merge publisher db by changing the category of the db in sysdatabases..eeeekkkkkk...I know, I know...a knife and fork job.

If so any issues ?

Thanks

Graeme

• Hi,

Don't worry about this...it was a bad idea....didn't pursue it..

Thanks

graeme

• Curious as to what you were trying to do and what you ended up with as a functional solution. If you can post that it may help others in the future.

Thanks in advance.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Hi David,

Nothing too involved actually.

We wanted to move the log file of our merge publisher database...without dropping all the merge.

We went for the option of backing up and restoring over the database while defining a new location for the logfile.

Obviously there was no activity and all the merge agents were stopped.

It was a good DR test..worked fine.

Thanks

Graeme

• Nice. Thanks for sharing and glad it worked.

We are doing a upgrade to 2008 on 64-Bit in a couple months and part of that is moving servers that are merge replication publishers and subscribers to totally new servers so wondering if I could glean some information from what you were doing but very different scenarios.

Thanks again.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Hi David,

Yeah that sounds good.

We are upgrading to 2008 next month...but ours will be inplace.

I can let you know any problems we have.

Graeme

• Thanks. That would be great. You can contact me directly by sending me an email via my profile information.

Thanks again!

David

@SQLTentmaker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply