Determine 4 working days from Start Of Month

• Hello,

I have a scenario where I want to add 4 working days to the start of a month.

Background:

My users currently have a transaction table where they filter on a YearMonth to view transactions for a Month for example '201001' will return all transactions for January 2010.

There is now a new requirement that transactions that fall in the first 4 working days of the Month should pertain to the previous month (Call it 'YearMonthMIS').

In the sql below I've described what I expect my result to look like however it only adds 4 days not work days.

*Note the second SELECT indicates the basis of my calcs.

--Temp table:

CREATE TABLE #tempTransactions

( ID int PRIMARY KEY

, TransactionDate DATETIME

, TransactionYearMonth int

)

INSERT INTO #tempTransactions

SELECT 1, '01/01/2010', 201001

UNION ALL

SELECT 2, '01/05/2010', 201001

UNION ALL

SELECT 3, '01/30/2010', 201001

UNION ALL

SELECT 4, '02/02/2010', 201002

UNION ALL

SELECT 5, '02/15/2010', 201002

--Retrieve results:

SELECT

ID

, TransactionDate

, TransactionYearMonth

-- IF Transaction date is Between the [FirstDayOfMonth] AND [FirstDayOfMonthMIS] THEN YearMonthMIS is = Previous YM

, CASE WHEN TransactionDate BETWEEN (DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, TransactionDate), 0)) AND (DATEADD(DAY, 4, (DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, TransactionDate), 0))))

THEN YEAR (DATEADD(MONTH, -1, TransactionDate)) *100 + MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, -1, TransactionDate))

ELSE TransactionYearMonth

END AS [YearMonthMIS]

FROM

#tempTransactions

--Basis of Calculations:

SELECT

TransactionDate

, TransactionYearMonth

--(TransactionYearMonth -1):

, YEAR (DATEADD(MONTH, -1, TransactionDate)) *100 + MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, -1, TransactionDate)) AS [PreviousTransactionYearMonth]

--FirstDay of Month:

, DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, TransactionDate), 0) AS [FirstDayOfMonth]

--FirstDay of Month +4 days):

, DATEADD(DAY, 4, (DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, TransactionDate), 0))) AS [FirstDayOfMonthMIS]

FROM #tempTransactions

DROP TABLE #tempTransactions

The crux is thus to replace the 4 below with 4 working days:unsure:.

DATEADD(DAY, 4, (DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, TransactionDate), 0))) AS [FirstDayOfMonthMIS]

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

G

• In order to have working days you will need to create a calendar like in this article

Fun with business days, calendar tables, and test-driven development - By Alex Kuznetsov, 2010/09/23 [/url]

Or are you considering working days: Monday to Friday?

Regards,

Iulian

• What is your definition of a working day? Does this exclude public holidays as well as weekends?

If so, a date table will be the simplest solution, keyed on date, specifying the month that it relates to.

• Hi,

To calrify Work Day is Monday to Friday. Holidays are not material for the purpose of this report.

I would like to avoid the use of calender table if at all possible but at the moment I can't see a solution.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

G

• Here you will need to determine and add the numbers of weekend days.

and the code will be

4 + [weekend days in the first 4 days of the month]

Regards,

Iulian

• The number of the weekend days in the first 4 days of the month can be determined using datepart function, something like this: CASE WHEN DATEPART( WEEKDAY, GETDATE()) BETWEEN 2 AND 4 THEN 0

ELSE 2

END

It depends when your week starts.

Regards,

Iulian

• If the first day of the month is 'saturday', add 5 days. If it's a 'sunday', add 4 days. What if it's wednesday?

-- How might this work longhand?

DECLARE @MyDate DATETIME

SET @MyDate = GETDATE()

SELECT

[Weekday] = DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+0),

[4 wd later] = DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,4,@MyDate+0)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+1), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,6,@MyDate+1)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+2), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,6,@MyDate+2)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+3), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,6,@MyDate+3)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+4), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,6,@MyDate+4)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+5), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,5,@MyDate+5)) UNION ALL

SELECT DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate+6), DATENAME(weekday,DATEADD(dd,4,@MyDate+6))

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- tidy it up a little

DECLARE @Increment TINYINT

SELECT @Increment = CASE

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Monday' THEN 4

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Tuesday' THEN 6

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Wednesday' THEN 6

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Thursday' THEN 6

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Friday' THEN 6

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Saturday' THEN 5

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Sunday' THEN 4

END

SELECT DATEADD(dd, @Increment, @MyDate)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- final version

SET @MyDate = GETDATE()

SELECT Today = @MyDate, ReportStartDate = DATEADD(dd, CASE

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Saturday' THEN 5

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) IN ('Monday','Sunday') THEN 4

ELSE 6 END, @MyDate)

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Replace "4" with:

4 + SUBSTRING('0012221', DATEDIFF(DAY, '19000101',

DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, '20100301'), 0)) % 7 + 1, 1)

SQL's base date, 19000101, is a Monday. So the string is the # of days to add for MonTueWedThu.... Then a quick computation determines the number of days to add.

Scott Pletcher, SQL Server MVP 2008-2010

• Thank you everyone for taking time to post, you have been most helpful!

I went with Chris's solution as I found it easier to read (at least for me anyway :P)

I made some adjustments to the actual days; I realised that I should only add 3 working days as the current transaction day is included.

So it came down to: Sunday3+1; Mon and Tue 3+0; Everything else 3+2

DECLARE @MyDate DateTime

SET @MyDate = GetDate()

SELECT DATEADD(dd, CASE WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) = 'Sunday' THEN 4

WHEN DATENAME(weekday,@MyDate) IN ('Monday', 'Tuesday') THEN 3

ELSE 5

END,@MyDate )

Thanks again,

G

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply